lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-13-2016, 07:24 PM   #11
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Upgrade to 4ga all around or just on batt pack and to controller & Solenoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinw71 View Post
... I have triple checked all the connections, all of which were very tight. Thank you in advance for any help.
No way for you to have checked the connection at the battery terminal that melted off though...

Generally speaking yes cheap cables could be a weak point BUT when a connection gets hot enough to melt off that is where the issue was.... What did the connection at the other end of that cable look like was it too melted?

Having connections too tight can be a cause for failure as when thing begin to heat up there can be changes and too tight becomes just a little loose... One must also be sure that the high amperage lug goes on first or kept closest to the lead, no smaller rings, locks or flat behind the high amp connection. Locks and/or flats must be used carefully only after all lugs are on the stud...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-13-2016, 07:25 PM   #12
Golfinw71
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Upgrade to 4ga all around or just on batt pack and to controller & Solenoid

I just checked the motor after riding around the neighborhood and after having sat for at least 45 mins it is still warm. This is where I start to get out of my purview, does that mean the motor is on its way out or overloaded because it is a standard 36v CC...

If the motor warmth is normal, where else do I look for the checking for too much load?

As for the terminal, they could've worked themselves loose I guess, I do not have lock washers on them :(. Paying my stupid tax I guess
Golfinw71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:38 PM   #13
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
... As for the terminal, they could've worked themselves loose I guess, I do not have lock washers on them :(. Paying my stupid tax I guess
Not necessarily so... I don't use split lock washers on my cart and don't really like them on electrical connections either. My batteries came with nuts with captured locks so that is what I'm using but I've read that some battery manf don't recommend them either... 6 of one half a dozen of the other.... Key is checking them regularly and keeping them just snug seems to be the key as too tight can pull the bolt loose inside the lead and then your done for....

As for using a 36 volt motor on 48 well that's a popular option but it has got to be harsh on the motor without question so I would expect it to get hot... But I don't know what too hot. Is the paint burnt or yellowed? If not then its likely not TOO hot....
Old 06-13-2016, 08:06 PM   #14
Golfinw71
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
Is the paint burnt or yellowed? If not then its likely not TOO hot....
From the outside, the paint and motor look completely normal. One thing I forogot to add is that lately, if I were taking off with a full load (two adults, toddler and a dog) on a very slight uphill the cart would shudder briefly. I am fairly certain this was related to batteries being low but wanted to share just in case.

Are there other sources/areas where load could be increased abnormally? The weird thing is not all the wires get hot. Only one or two. The two main + & - leads, which are welding wire, are fine.

Could the terminals not be making good contact with the battery posts somehow?
Old 06-13-2016, 08:18 PM   #15
Golfinw71
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
What did the connection at the other end of that cable look like was it too melted?
I checked the other end of the wire that melted off and it looks completely normal. The wire that melted is stiff as a stick on the last 1-2" though so it got pretty hot.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:25 AM   #16
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
make the long wires with welding wire for everywhere but between the batteries.
Possibly low strand count wires? The amps/heat will find the weakest link...
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 05:50 AM   #17
Golfinw71
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

That very well could be. I think I am going to buy new, better quality battery wires and see what happens. Thanks for all the help. I'll report back on the outcome for others to refer to invade they have similar issues.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:15 PM   #18
Golfinw71
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Well I replaced the battery terminal/stud using the tap method hooked the wire back up and still have maybe 3 of the 5 battery wires getting hot. I really think they are bad wires because not all of them get hot, which is strange. Ordering higher quality ones tonight...
Old 06-15-2016, 08:51 PM   #19
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Well I replaced the battery terminal/stud using the tap method hooked the wire back up and still have maybe 3 of the 5 battery wires getting hot. I really think they are bad wires because not all of them get hot, which is strange. Ordering higher quality ones tonight...
Have you had much for battery corrosion? Corrosion can get inside your wires and cause issues...
Old 06-15-2016, 09:02 PM   #20
Golfinw71
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

None, it's driving me nuts. Anyway thank you everyone for the help along the way. I'm thinking of going with 2 AWG between the batts to see how that does

Tags
4 ga, 4 gauge, lift kit, wires
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car