lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-31-2015, 08:44 PM   #11
crash test dummy

Default Re: How can I wire Scotty B's 30 amp 48v to 12v reducer to oem wiring harness?

readings need to be taken 12hrs after charge and 15mins after drive

here is chart showing state of charge for golf cart batteries

it seems your batteries are not holding a good charge

how old are they ?
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-01-2016, 10:12 AM   #12
speedyptc
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: How can I wire Scotty B's 30 amp 48v to 12v reducer to oem wiring harness?

Happy New Year Everyone!
Thanks for getting back to me CTD about the battery question. I went out and looked at the batteries this morning and they are all Trojan T-875, 8 volt, stamped 3K, which I assumed are November 2013. Just for the heck of it I got out the meter and measured voltage of each battery and they all read around 8.40 to 8.45. But when I went to measure pack voltage from positive at battery 1 and negative at battery 6 the meter read 1? Double checked and that was the reading that I got (meter set at DCV 20) and when I turned on the key switch the little "made in China" that the local golf shop installed reads out 50.4 ?? I will have to look at how they wired that thing in because I think that may be the problem. Will let you know what I find and post pictures. Any thoughts about the pack reading or any other ideas of what to look for will be greatly appreciated. Hope this isn't a sign of how this year is going to be for me.
speedyptc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:33 AM   #13
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

That "1" (overflow error) on your multimeter is normal, You cannot read 50v on a 20v scale.

You should use 20vDC scale to read individual batteries (2 decimal places) and 200vDC scale for the pack.

I assume during the installation of the converter you had the pack disconnected, if not, disconnect the pack for 10 minutes to reset the OBC.

Running a reducer off 2 batteries is never a good idea, using it as much as You did most certainly reduced the life of the 2 batteries that were tapped for the lights.

You can try a few equalization charges to see if You can get those batteries close to 100% SOC.

After a full charge cycle has ended, and without driving the cart, disconnect the DC plug from the cart wait 30 seconds and plug it again.

That charge cycle will raise the voltage a little higher trying to equalize them (get them close to the same final voltage at rest).

It is also important that You measure the individual battery voltages using the 20vDC scale at the end of the ride when the pack voltage is really low.

By the way, please confirm that You only have 1 cable (and no wires) connected to the pack negative battery post and that it goes through the OBC to Controller B-.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:41 AM   #14
crash test dummy

just keep a good thought for the coming year !!!
Old 01-01-2016, 11:02 AM   #15
speedyptc
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks Sergio for getting back to me about this. I did have the pack disconnected yesterday when I removed the oem reducer and was wiring in the oem harness to the new converter. Also, I only have the one wire (nothing else on that terminal) running from the negative ground on battery #6 running through the OBC to the B- on the controller. I did run a wire from the B- to the ground fuse block I got from Scotty B to ground accessories.
I did check the pack voltage with the correct setting on the meter and got a pack voltage of 50.5 and individual voltages from 8.38 to 8.41. I did what you said and unplug the charger and waited 30 seconds and plugged it back in. Can I do this more than once to try and get the batteries closer to 100% charged? And why am I still getting a yellow light every time I unplug the charger from the cart? Thanks again in advance for you expert advise on these electrical questions Very much appreciated!
Old 01-01-2016, 11:38 AM   #16
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

You can run as many negative wires as You need as long as they all come OFF the B- or from a terminal block that is connected to B-, You are good there.

I run an equalization charge on the beginning of every quarter, and I am now going to start running it also on the begning of every month in Jan, Feb and Mar.

I just don't drive the cart as much in the winter and the extra charge cycles help keep the electrolyte well mixed in the batteries to avoid stratification.

In Your case I would run it once a week for the next month, If you charge it Sunday night, just unplug the DC cord, wait 30 secs and plug it back again Monday morning on your way to work.

Is the battery warning light blinking or just coming ON one time when You unplug the DC cord? and for how long?

If it is one time, the equalization charges will help.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 12:34 PM   #17
speedyptc
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks Sergio, I will try that for the next 4 weeks and see if that will help get the batteries equalized.
The yellow light is just coming on for a couple of seconds when I unplug the charger cord and then it goes off.
We use our golf cart every day and it rarely gets a day off. So we want it to always be in the best working condition possible. Thanks to all for helping me do just that.
Thanks CTD, I will do just that for this year!
Old 01-02-2016, 09:47 PM   #18
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Read page 6 of attached manual.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Club Car Powerdrive 3 Charger Manual.pdf (443.9 KB, 0 views)
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:16 PM   #19
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

One more thing. The first sign of an unbalanced battery pack is when some of the cells are not bubbling while the rest of them are bubbling away during the equalization charge. Next time you do an equalization charge remove the caps and see if any cells are not bubbling. First this will give you an idea which if any battery is bad. Second you can monitor if the cells do become balanced.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring harness
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car