lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-05-2016, 12:42 PM   #1
bigern77
Not Yet Wild

Default CC DS Resistor Coil to modern controller conversion

Sorry if this has been asked, but I could not find anything on it. But, what year cart can i look for to gut the controller & motor out of to convert my late model CC DS resistor coil setup. I found a kit I could buy for like 1300 but if I can find a parts cart to get these from, it might be cheaper. Thanks
bigern77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-05-2016, 01:20 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: CC DS Resistor Coil to modern controller conversion

Make sure you are comparing apples to apples. Stock controls are 225 - 300 amps a basic set up for golf.
Big tires, 4 passengers, off road, hills, soft footing, all require bigger controls and bigger controls require beefed up F&R, solenoid, & cables.

So, the answer to your question is. CC DS all have interchangeable components. Beware of any regen 1 or regen 2 carts.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 01:21 PM   #3
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

I thought my '93 was the first of the controller carts but someone has said the tail end of the '92 production was the first. The first wiring diagram listed at the top of this section says '89-03.

I wouldn't be too sure it would be cheaper to convert with worn, brittle and fatigued used parts. The 3rd time I used my cart the controller gave up (I believe it didn't like being trailered). I have heard of warnings about "rebuilt" controllers ( replacing only the failed component in a 10-20 year old brittle guts).

Good luck with whatever you decide.

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 01:27 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag50 View Post
I thought my '93 was the first of the controller carts but someone has said the tail end of the '92 production was the first. The first wiring diagram listed at the top of this section says '89-03.

I wouldn't be too sure it would be cheaper to convert with worn, brittle and fatigued used parts. The 3rd time I used my cart the controller gave up (I believe it didn't like being trailered). I have heard of warnings about "rebuilt" controllers ( replacing only the failed component in a 10-20 year old brittle guts).

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I had a 93 36v controller cart it worked good.
Had a pair of 95 48v controller carts were real slow and gutless with good batts ? These were my first 48v carts and boy was I sorely disappointed. All these drive systems are designed for golf. Good if you are staying on hard mild surface with stock tires and no more than 2 passengers
Old 01-05-2016, 01:37 PM   #5
bigern77
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Make sure you are comparing apples to apples. Stock controls are 225 - 300 amps a basic set up for golf.
Big tires, 4 passengers, off road, hills, soft footing, all require bigger controls and bigger controls require beefed up F&R, solenoid, & cables.

So, the answer to your question is. CC DS all have interchangeable components. Beware of any regen 1 or regen 2 carts.
Forgive my ignorance, but what is a regen 1 or regen 2 cart?
Old 01-05-2016, 01:43 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigern77 View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but what is a regen 1 or regen 2 cart?
Failed drive systems of the late 90s.

What is the intended use of your cart?
Old 01-05-2016, 02:06 PM   #7
bigern77
Not Yet Wild

I just want to use it when we go camping and around the neighborhood. It is way to slow to keep up with the newer carts and i think i am invested in this one too much to trade it in.plus, i customized it to my liking.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:22 PM   #8
chriskent85
Gone Wild

I just went with the 400amp conversion from scottyb on a 92 resistor and upgraded to 48V with the stock motor and this thing will run 26mph, has tons of power, Very simple intall.
chriskent85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 02:50 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigern77 View Post
I just want to use it when we go camping and around the neighborhood. It is way to slow to keep up with the newer carts and i think i am invested in this one too much to trade it in.plus, i customized it to my liking.
For a series drive cart (like this) wide open throttle is wide open throttle no matter how you get to it. Even a 700a control is not going to make it spin more rpms
Unlike the sepex drive carts.

However, more voltage will. 48v will make the 36v motor spin 33% more rpms and produce about the same 33% more torque while doing it. And that is one benefit of converting to solid state speed control.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:19 PM   #10
CCFanatic
DS Drivers Club Founder

Club Car

You'd want to look for a 93-94 controller system 36v car, or a 95-04 Series drive 48v car. It can be denoted as a Series by the F-R control. If it has a lever for the F-R, it's a Series. Regen 1, Regen 2, and IQ cars have a toggle switch F-R control (Sepex system) and would require a different motor, etc to work.

As for the 92 year 36v controller cars, I have heard of a few. My guess would be they were a prototype for the 93 DS. The only years CC had a controller drive system in a 36v car, stock, was 92, 93, and 94.

Precedents are similar (prototype wise). They were "released" officially in 04, but there are some 2003 Precedents running around out there - those 03s are prototypes
CCFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car