lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-14-2016, 01:01 PM   #1
NLaudy
Not Yet Wild

Default Winter Build- Advice needed

Fellas,

I apologize for how long this post is and thank you in advance for any assistance. I recently bought a golf cart. It was in pretty rough shape but I was able to snag it for $550 so I thought it was a good deal and it gives me all winter to get it built. It's main use is for around the campground and running the few trails in the area. I might occasionally use it for hunting but it would be rare.

With that said, I need some advice/opinions. I have read tons and tons of posts on this forum so I have a few ideas but also a few questions which I will ask below. When I tested the cart at my house it ran forwards/backwards without any issues. However, it was VERY slow. Probably didn't go over 8mph but I didn't have a GPS for a true speed. I did the speed sensor test and it started beeping and stopped the cart so I am hoping its just a battery issue as they weren't very good and I will be replacing them.

The cart was VERY dirty so I wanted to clean it up and in doing so I went overboard and stripped it down to almost the frame! That is a good thing though as I am going to be changing a few things while its apart. After tearing into it I realized a lot of the wires were dry rotted at the connectors and are broken.

Based on what I can see from the serial I believe the cart is a 2006 Club Car Precedent. I also believe it is Sepex and has the I.Q. However, I am not 100% sure so I hope someone can help me verify.

At this point, I have ordered a back seat and a Jakes 6" A-Arm lift. Below are some of my questions. Please keep in mind that though I am not trying to spend a ton of money... I want to do things right the first time. I have wrote off my local golf cart shop as they told me the best thing I could do was sell the Club Cart and buy a Yamaha or EZ GO because Club Carts are "trash".

1- Is the cart in fact an 06 Club Car Precedent with Sepex and I.Q.?

2- I am doing the 12v to 8v conversion. Being that I will need to make 2 extra wires... should I change them to 2GA or 4GA? In the future I plan to upgrade the motor so I would like to only have to change the wires once.

3- Do I need to change out the OBC since I am doing the battery conversion?

4- Currently the key doesn't work (I don't even have one). The key mechanism was pushed through and I found it in the dash. All the wires were corroded. Even the orange battery light wires were corroded/snapped in half so it didn't work. The cart works without the key currently and I would like to hook it back up to normal. Is that a hard process and can I just buy a new key/lock for it?

5- I got a PowerDrive charger with the cart. Are they good and do they need to be rebuilt or anything after a while? Not really sure how to test it. When I hooked it up to the cart it would be on for like 5 minutes then turn off and come back on and repeat. Of course these batteries seem to be in bad shape. When I tested them on my charger, the highest one measure 12.3 and 2 of them were at 11.3.

6- As stated previously, I bought a lift kit/rear seat already. Should I buy the Heavy Duty Rear Leaf Spring kit also?

7- If I was to upgrade the motor, which should I go with? Looking for torque and speed. I have seen people talk about D&D as well as PlumQuick. Are there other players also? Also, if I was to upgrade the motor... what other items would need to be changed out also?

Thank you all for the help. Below are some pictures

NLaudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-14-2016, 01:07 PM   #2
NLaudy
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Winter Build- Advice needed

Old 12-14-2016, 01:11 PM   #3
NLaudy
Not Yet Wild

Old 12-14-2016, 01:23 PM   #4
whit71
Gone Wild

Club Car

Based on the serial number PQ 0618 (best I can tell from the pic) it is a 2006 precedent IQ. It looks like its been under water.
whit71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 01:27 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Nice project. Slow down winter is long
I would XCT48500 control, 400 solenoid, 2g cables throughout and Admiral A4 motor. Enjoy the project.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 05:04 PM   #6
Kashmir
Gone Wild
Club Car

I agree with whit71...that looks like it's been flooded.
But $500 seems like a good deal for what you've got.
Kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 06:41 PM   #7
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLaudy View Post

This just makes me ill......

Good luck with your build, and listen to Scottyb. He'll set you up correctly for your intended usage.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 06:53 PM   #8
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

[QUOTE=NLaudy;1338005]Fellas,

At this point, I have ordered a back seat and a Jakes 6" A-Arm lift. Below are some of my questions. Please keep in mind that though I am not trying to spend a ton of money... I want to do things right the first time. I have wrote off my local golf cart shop as they told me the best thing I could do was sell the Club Cart and buy a Yamaha or EZ GO because Club Carts are "trash".

I'd write them off too. After nearly 20 years in the golf car business, the Precedent is my first, second, and third choice

1- Is the cart in fact an 06 Club Car Precedent with Sepex and I.Q.?

Yes it is. It's an 06 with the IQ system. The IQ system was the only drive system available on a Precedent in 2006.

2- I am doing the 12v to 8v conversion. Being that I will need to make 2 extra wires... should I change them to 2GA or 4GA? In the future I plan to upgrade the motor so I would like to only have to change the wires once.

The size of your wires depends on the amp output of the controller you use. If you're gonna do a 400, you can get away with 4 gauge. If you're gonna do 500, get 2 gauge.

3- Do I need to change out the OBC since I am doing the battery conversion?

Yes. The OEM conversion kit comes with a new OBC. Or you can order all the pieces individually, minus the OBC, and save a lot of money. Then you could purchase a DPI accusense or Lester Summit charger that does not need an OBC to operate. You would then bypass the OBC circuit on the cart and never worry about it again.

4- Currently the key doesn't work (I don't even have one). The key mechanism was pushed through and I found it in the dash. All the wires were corroded. Even the orange battery light wires were corroded/snapped in half so it didn't work. The cart works without the key currently and I would like to hook it back up to normal. Is that a hard process and can I just buy a new key/lock for it?

You can order a new key switch and replace it very easily. I would recommend replacing the entire wire harness as it looks like it's been flooded. I have plenty of good used ones. If you're interested, let me know.

5- I got a PowerDrive charger with the cart. Are they good and do they need to be rebuilt or anything after a while? Not really sure how to test it. When I hooked it up to the cart it would be on for like 5 minutes then turn off and come back on and repeat. Of course these batteries seem to be in bad shape. When I tested them on my charger, the highest one measure 12.3 and 2 of them were at 11.3.

The charger sounds like it's performing correctly. This is a good charger, although it's not the one that originally came with the cart. The Precedent came with a PowerDrive 2 in 2006, but that's irrelevant. The PD1 will work perfectly fine.

6- As stated previously, I bought a lift kit/rear seat already. Should I buy the Heavy Duty Rear Leaf Spring kit also?

If you're gonna run 23" tires, yes. If you're going to run 22" tires, it's optional

7- If I was to upgrade the motor, which should I go with? Looking for torque and speed. I have seen people talk about D&D as well as PlumQuick. Are there other players also? Also, if I was to upgrade the motor... what other items would need to be changed out also?

I agree with Scottyb. The Admiral A4 will give a bit of both speed and torque.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 07:04 PM   #9
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

+1 on all of David's answers

That cart looks like it's been ridden hard and put up wet, but it sounds like it has fallen into some good hands. Have fun with the project!
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 08:15 PM   #10
Kashmir
Gone Wild
Club Car

Dawg is the man!
Always there to help, no matter what!
Kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car