lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-28-2020, 08:45 PM   #1
kde
Not Yet Wild

Default Best way to start (after ~3 months of storage)

Hi, 2007 EZGO RXV (gas) sits in a shed most of the year -- runs every ~3 months at vacation site. I keep odyssey battery charged at all times. To start... I put into idle and hold the pedal down with no crank. I tend to let off the gas and press the gas (many times) until I can hear the cart trying to "turn over". Once I start to hear it try to turn over (after a few minutes)... I try to position the pedal at the "right spot" to get it to crank. I can always get it running.

Even after running for a bit, if I stop... it can take a bit (using same method) to get it cranking again.

Is this normal? Any way to improve the starting from cold crank after months of not being run? Do I need to tighten the belts? Since it eventually cranks... not sure the starter is the problem. I always try to use non ethanol gas and include fuel treatment, etc. Hoping for some advice...
kde is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-28-2020, 08:50 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Best way to start (after ~3 months of storage)

Sounds like corrosion from sitting. Commutator, and brushes need to be cleaned. All grounds, and battery connections need to be cleaned, and you may need a new positive battery cable. They grow hidden corrosion that causes your symptoms.

The starter should spin as soon as you step on the pedal.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 09:03 PM   #3
kde
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
Sounds like corrosion from sitting. Commutator, and brushes need to be cleaned. All grounds, and battery connections need to be cleaned, and you may need a new positive battery cable. They grow hidden corrosion that causes your symptoms.

Thank you for the response. I'll check the battery cables; yet believe these to be clean (as recently done). Can make new cables if needed -- have everything.

"Commuters and brushes" are for electric right? This cart is gas. Am I missing something? Happy to learn...
Old 12-28-2020, 09:04 PM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

What cart around said.

As far as the belt needing tightening, is the SG spinning and the belt not moving?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 09:15 PM   #5
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If the starter generator isn't turning immediately, but slowly starts, it is likely your battery voltage gets to full charge with no load, but if the battery is bad, it may drop significantly under heavy load (starting). Connect a voltage meter on it, see what your initial voltage is on the battery, then push the pedal with it still connected. Voltage shouldn't drop a lot. I bet it drops to between 8 and 10 volts, maybe lower.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 09:17 PM   #6
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

"Commuter and brushes" are in the starter generator of a gas machine
Old 12-28-2020, 09:21 PM   #7
kde
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPonLKN View Post
"Commuter and brushes" are in the starter generator of a gas machine
Ahhhh!
Old 12-29-2020, 10:13 AM   #8
kde
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post

To clean the commuter and brushes -- planning too remove it, open it up and spray it out with an air compressor. Maybe touch up any parts that I can with wd-40 or grease (based on what I can see when I get it opened). Anything else?
Old 12-29-2020, 10:15 AM   #9
kde
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPonLKN View Post
If the starter generator isn't turning immediately, but slowly starts, it is likely your battery voltage gets to full charge with no load, but if the battery is bad, it may drop significantly under heavy load (starting). Connect a voltage meter on it, see what your initial voltage is on the battery, then push the pedal with it still connected. Voltage shouldn't drop a lot. I bet it drops to between 8 and 10 volts, maybe lower.
I'll test the battery itself; however, it is a new Odyssey PC680 in a holding bracket so it doesn't rattle.
Old 12-29-2020, 10:24 AM   #10
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kde View Post
To clean the commuter and brushes -- planning too remove it, open it up and spray it out with an air compressor. Maybe touch up any parts that I can with wd-40 or grease (based on what I can see when I get it opened). Anything else?
I wouldn't use any "wet" lubricants. Blow it out is fine, light polishing of the armature with super fine emery cloth is ok, but not grease or WD-40.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO