lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-06-2021, 05:20 PM   #1
Fireman86
Not Yet Wild

Default Shock replacement advice

I’m currently upgrading a 1995 Medalist

I added dual action HD rear springs and 20 inch Steeling Stinger tires. I noticed the front wasnt level and had some “give”. This caused the tires not to fit perfectly. So I ordered HD front springs. When I was taking the front suspension apart I discovers the axle was broken at the shock bracket.

I’m assuming welding isn’t a great idea so I decided to order a drop axle lift kit. I really liked the way the 20s looked and didn’t really want to lift it but the decision was taken away from me.

With that said my question is should I replace the shocks too? It will have new springs and new axle. Nothing else appears broken and who knows how long it was riding on one Shock.

Thanks for the help.
Fireman86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-06-2021, 05:25 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: Shock replacement advice

You can check the shocks. Are they leaking any oil? Take them off and compress and extended them by hand to see if they have resistance. If money is not an object, sure get new ones for peace of mind.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 05:30 PM   #3
Fireman86
Not Yet Wild

I’ll take them off and check. I found a set for $100 for all 4. Spending this much money already so I’d rather not have something mess up Later.
Old 05-06-2021, 06:33 PM   #4
Fireman86
Not Yet Wild

Yeah 1 of them is shot. Won’t compress, has a dent in it. It’s on the side that was broken.
Old 05-06-2021, 08:22 PM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

There you go
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:35 AM   #6
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Well, sounds like you are already spending the money, ut if not, why is welding not the fix? They were welded originally...unless its rusted out,welding would work fine. Either that, or find a golf cart place that fixes up carts and look for a "take off". Might get it for next to nothing and a few calls.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:37 AM   #7
Fireman86
Not Yet Wild

It snapped right above the axle, I guess for piece of mind I wasn’t sure if it would be ok. By the time you pay someone to weld it I would be partially into the lift. Same with buying a factory one

I was told the 20s would fit and I guess that’s also part of the issue. They didn’t fit, I assume it was because it was broke, but if it ends up not fitting I wasted time and money.
Old 05-07-2021, 11:15 AM   #8
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You would be surprised how inexpensive welding can be if you can get it to their shop, particularly if you cleaned up all rust and paint at the point of the break. I've taken stuff to local shops in the past for small welds like that and get the "its all good, no charge", to "$20 is good". The easier you make it for them, the better. It would be as strong welded as it was originally if welded properly. It can't be more than a few inches of weld. Hardest part would be to take off the axle and get it to them, and put it back together, but you would do that with a lift anyway. Either way, these forums help not just OP, but future folks too. Someone may search "golf cart broken front axle" and get an option that they may not have thought about. Good luck with it.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 01:06 PM   #9
Fireman86
Not Yet Wild

I appreciate it all. I discussed with my better half and she was the one(surprisingly) that said “Go Ahead and Lift it”.

Thanks for all the help/advice
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO