lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-06-2021, 09:09 AM   #1
Barnsworth
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default '85 Braking Problems

So my neighbor has a '85 Ezgo and I put brake shoes on for him. Problem is that they will do nothing to slow or stop.

I've put shoes on before so I know they are on properly. I sanded the inside of the drum and shoe lightly then cleaned everything with brake cleaner. They are adjusted up right, engaging and releasing like they should. But for the life of me I can't figure why there is no "grab" to stop the cart. It's as if I coated the inside of the drum with grease.

If anyone has a clue to why there is no stopping this cart I'd appreciate it. I feel like it's something stupid I've done to cause the problem but sure can't put my finger on it.

Thanks!
Barnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-06-2021, 09:52 AM   #2
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Default Re: '85 Braking Problems

Did you check to see if the shoe surface fit the drum surface before installing them?.. full contact.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 09:58 AM   #3
Barnsworth
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

As far as setting the shoe into the drum itself I did not do that. I assumed that they were the correct part, they matched the old shoes. They fit fine on the cart and the drum slide over them okay then I adjusted the cable to give it pedal.

It's just such a odd thing. I know they are engaging because there is pedal but they just won't grab. Strange.

I'll have to pull them off and see to make sure. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 07-06-2021, 10:52 AM   #4
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnsworth View Post
So my neighbor has a '85 Ezgo and I put brake shoes on for him. Problem is that they will do nothing to slow or stop.

I've put shoes on before so I know they are on properly. I sanded the inside of the drum and shoe lightly then cleaned everything with brake cleaner. They are adjusted up right, engaging and releasing like they should. But for the life of me I can't figure why there is no "grab" to stop the cart. It's as if I coated the inside of the drum with grease.

If anyone has a clue to why there is no stopping this cart I'd appreciate it. I feel like it's something stupid I've done to cause the problem but sure can't put my finger on it.

Thanks!
What StoveBolt said. Remove one of the shoes and put put in brake drum. You probably will find out it only hits in the center.
trig123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 11:10 AM   #5
Barnsworth
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I’ll do that sometime soon when I have access to it and let you all know. Thanks!
Old 07-06-2021, 01:45 PM   #6
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Back in the old days when they turned drums they would cam grind the new shoes to match. Now days they just replace everything.
Old 07-06-2021, 02:25 PM   #7
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoveBolt View Post
Back in the old days when they turned drums they would cam grind the new shoes to match. Now days they just replace everything.
We had a shoe grinder in our shop StoveBolt. Even had a brake rivet machine. I have been known to bend the shoes to fit the drum
trig123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 02:57 PM   #8
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

We had the whole setup at a station I worked at trig, it was great breathing that asbestos dust, never heard of bending shoes though..
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO