lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-07-2021, 06:18 PM   #1
Shooting Jack
Not Yet Wild

Exclamation 98 Ezgo gas won't run.

I have replaced every electrical part except the wiring itself. It does not get any fire at the plugs other than an initial flash one time. Two different shops have checked it and not gotten anywhere. It had been running fine and one day I went to get it out of the shelter and it would not crank. I pulled the valve cover to see if maybe timing belt broke.(could see the crank turn) I'm totally at loss. What is a basic test to insure all elements are working? Help Please.
Shooting Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-07-2021, 09:50 PM   #2
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 98 Ezgo gas won't run.

If it were me, I would put all the original electronics back on and clean up the grounds. Most likely the grounding between the plate that the solenoid mounts to and the frame. Very common, always the same symptoms. Once all the original electronics are back on, we can walk through testing most of them. Usually, its a ground...and on a slightly less common occasion, it is a loose connector pin connection or wire connector.

As for the original symptom, by "would not crank", does that mean, starter/generator wasn't turning the motor over, or just no spark when it did? Not having spark now that all the components have been replaced is not surprising, as you likely bought Chinese replacement parts, and they are common to be bad out of the box. I'm guessing you mean spark...and in that case, my guess would be bad ground.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 08:54 AM   #3
sthreatt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

This is going to be interesting. That one spark demon raises it's ugly head again.
sthreatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 01:59 PM   #4
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthreatt View Post
This is going to be interesting. That one spark demon raises it's ugly head again.
Ignitor that is bad will do the one spark. I am guessing it was replaced with an ebay or amazon one both times.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 06:48 AM   #5
Shooting Jack
Not Yet Wild

Yes, the engine spins over but won't crank. I ran a new wire from frame to motor guessing it was ground problem. Plate that solonoid mounts on is badly rusted and have not been able to find one to replace it with.
Shooting Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 11:25 AM   #6
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Jack View Post
Yes, the engine spins over but won't crank. I ran a new wire from frame to motor guessing it was ground problem. Plate that solonoid mounts on is badly rusted and have not been able to find one to replace it with.
Remove and clean it up including where it mounts .
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 05:54 PM   #7
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yeah, need to get the ground wires from the ignitor, solenoid, and voltage regulator grounded well to the frame. Find each of those black wires, tie em together and run a ground wire to the frame. Bet you get spark.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO