lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-23-2022, 03:12 PM   #1
joes454ss
Not Yet Wild

Default Help, 85 ezgo

Having i believe to be electrical, cart runs then stops hit the gas again an it runs again, this happen quite often. went over connections, made sure they were good. But still stops like key was shut off. Sometimes it wont go right away. Have to wait. But always turns over but wont start. Then it will run off an on. Then other times it seems fine. Weird Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks
joes454ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-23-2022, 03:57 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Help, 85 ezgo

Since it turns over immediately but won't start, I'll rule out the solenoid.

I'm leaning towards loss of spark.
Maybe the spark plug wire is chafing and shorting out.
Maybe the plug is starting to go bad.
Same for coil and ignitor box. They could be shorting internally due to heat.

When does it act up? More when it's been running and hot?

You will find the 85 manual in post #22 here. https://buggiesgonewild.com/showthre...=105501&page=3
cart around is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 07:33 PM   #3
joes454ss
Not Yet Wild

starts right away sometimes when cold or warmed up. today started right up then when going it starts to die, while still moving let off the accelerator an push right back on it starts running again. I thought micro for accelerator was to energize solenoid.
Old 06-23-2022, 10:15 PM   #4
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Power for the solenoid and ignition are all tied together. Let off the pedal and you lose power to both solenoid and ignition.

I was also thinking about a sticking needle valve letting it run out of gas, but it seems too instantaneous.
cart around is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 11:28 AM   #5
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

I would suggest putting a meter on the solenoid and try to get a voltage reading when it dies......

I recently replaced the accelerator switch on an 88 due to similar symptoms, fixed it but an hour later the symptoms returned. Upon poking around with a meter I found that new switch was indeed getting 12.6volts in but only putting out 7volts, Not enough to activate solenoid. So I put in another new switch I had and that one did the same dang thing after only 10 minutes. Yeah, two brand new cheapy micro switches off Ama failed......

So, to get her back on the road I swapped the known working 34 year old reverse buzzer switch to the accelerator, that all was last week and it's been running fine ever since......
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 04:50 PM   #6
joes454ss
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for your replies first i checked all wiring seemed good put dielectric grease on connections, then checked coil with new one i had that was good, replaced igniter an that was good, then checked pulsar an that was good also, But i wanted to pull the flywheel anyway just to see glad i did, it needed a good cleaning. what it ended up being was the plug going from the pulsar to the igniter. Good news is i got it fixed.
Old 09-06-2022, 05:44 PM   #7
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Good job, glad you got it fixed and Thanks for the follow up
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO