lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-30-2022, 03:38 PM   #1
gofast67
Gone Wild

Default Ezgo 2005 MCI 295 barely wants to run

Hello,I have a 2004 ezgo txt with MCI 295 motor. I have put 3 different carbs on this cart and it still runs like crap. Vales are adjusted,plugs are new and have 92# of compression which is a lil low. Problem I am having is it will black smut the plugs literally in 1 minute of driving the cart. All spark ses to be ok,but have no idea why this thing won't run right. Anyone?????
gofast67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-30-2022, 03:45 PM   #2
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo 2005 MCI 295 barely wants to run

Take your hand and hold the throttle wide open when you check the compression. Leave one spark plug in when testing. Post back results
That cart shouldn't even run with compression that low.

Also it sounds like you are installing the cheap china carburetors. Get the correct one or take the OEM that was on it if you still got it and give it a good cleaning.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 05:19 PM   #3
gofast67
Gone Wild

That is exactly how I tested the compression. Also the original carb has been cleaned 2 times and it still pours out fuel. It is coming out of the vent hole on side of carb,and is running out the front towards air filter. I will ck with ezgo dealer and see if they even have the carb for this cart.
Old 08-30-2022, 05:29 PM   #4
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast67 View Post
That is exactly how I tested the compression. Also the original carb has been cleaned 2 times and it still pours out fuel. It is coming out of the vent hole on side of carb,and is running out the front towards air filter. I will ck with ezgo dealer and see if they even have the carb for this cart.
I would check your compression tester first. 92 psi is nowhere close to what this engines needs to run.
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 06:31 PM   #5
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
The fuel problem with the original carb is the float and needle valve not working the way they should. Either the float isn't floating, causing the valve to close, or the needle valve isn't sealing. Try one of the floats and needle valves from one of the junk carbs, and without the bowl on, make sure the valve seals. You can put a hose on the fuel inlet line, blow into it, manually lift the float to close the valve and you shouldn't be able to blow into the hose. Make sure the float is adjusted so it closes when it is level to the carb.
When you cleaned it, did you remove the atomization tube and jet on the top of the carb? Ran a fine wire into each of the holes?
92 is way low compression...shouldn't run at all like that. As for your plug fouling, clearly a rich issue which is common for the China carbs...Are you sure you are getting air flow? Clean filter, no mouse houses in the hose? Does the exhaust flow freely? Put an air compressor to it and make sure air flows freely through it. If air isn't moving through the motor, you can't get air in to compress.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 01:30 AM   #6
GreaseMunkey
Not Yet Wild

On the carb pouring gas out of the vent holes.. Take the bowl off of the bottom and make sure the float is adjusted correctly.

Mine was doing the same thing until I bent the float so that it was angled down a few degrees and that fixed my problem.

While you’re in the carb check and make sure you still have the seal on the float pin and there’s no trash keeping it from sealing off.
GreaseMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 01:21 PM   #7
gofast67
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPonLKN View Post
The fuel problem with the original carb is the float and needle valve not working the way they should. Either the float isn't floating, causing the valve to close, or the needle valve isn't sealing. Try one of the floats and needle valves from one of the junk carbs, and without the bowl on, make sure the valve seals. You can put a hose on the fuel inlet line, blow into it, manually lift the float to close the valve and you shouldn't be able to blow into the hose. Make sure the float is adjusted so it closes when it is level to the carb.
When you cleaned it, did you remove the atomization tube and jet on the top of the carb? Ran a fine wire into each of the holes?
92 is way low compression...shouldn't run at all like that. As for your plug fouling, clearly a rich issue which is common for the China carbs...Are you sure you are getting air flow? Clean filter, no mouse houses in the hose? Does the exhaust flow freely? Put an air compressor to it and make sure air flows freely through it. If air isn't moving through the motor, you can't get air in to compress.
I am soaking the old carb again. I'm not even sure they make am oem carb for this cart anymore.
Old 08-31-2022, 01:22 PM   #8
gofast67
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMunkey View Post
On the carb pouring gas out of the vent holes.. Take the bowl off of the bottom and make sure the float is adjusted correctly.

Mine was doing the same thing until I bent the float so that it was angled down a few degrees and that fixed my problem.

While you’re in the carb check and make sure you still have the seal on the float pin and there’s no trash keeping it from sealing off.
My float is all plastic,so. I am unable to bend the mounting part.
Old 08-31-2022, 03:02 PM   #9
gofast67
Gone Wild

Ok,I soaked the carb all day and ran a small piece of wire through all the jets and open ports then I blew it out real good. Carb doesn't flood out and cart is running great. What is up with these Chinese carbs anyways? They seem to be junk. Thank y'all for all the input.
Old 09-01-2022, 09:37 AM   #10
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Ok,I soaked the carb all day and ran a small piece of wire through all the jets and open ports then I blew it out real good. Carb doesn't flood out and cart is running great. What is up with these Chinese carbs anyways? They seem to be junk. Thank y'all for all the input.
Not sure why the China clones suck, but there really isn't much to the original ones except that they need to be trash free and clean. Glad you got it running right again.
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO