lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-31-2022, 11:33 AM   #11
GreaseMunkey
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Pre-MCI Spark Issues

Just came home for lunch and verified that the 12v I was getting is bleeding though the coil from the hot wire going to the coil, it’s still there if I unplug the white wire. If I probe the white wire back to the hot post on the battery I get one bright flash and some very dim flickers.
GreaseMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-31-2022, 09:19 PM   #12
GreaseMunkey
Not Yet Wild

Well I didn’t make it by the cart place today before they closed, but I did tear into the ignitor that was presumed to be bad, and confirmed assumptions that it was bad. I hit full-on ADHD mania on the potting surrounding the ignitor, and found a surface mount component (either a transistor or some form of integrated circuit) that had popped under the potting. When I looked right down stream from that component there sat the orange power wire. I was hoping I could get off cheap and just get on AliExpress, but the component was too far gone to see the part number..

Has anyone ever taken one of the apart to see the component that I’m missing in the pic below??

Also, I did find out that I can get a Red Hawk ignitor for around $150 here in town.. Is it worth it to go for the Red Hawk vs the Amazon specials?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5CA42555-E348-4A95-879E-BDB98B8C4928.jpg (155.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-02-2022, 05:48 PM   #13
GreaseMunkey
Not Yet Wild

I replaced the ignitor with a new Red Hawk ignitor and Bob’s your auntie… SHE’S ALIVE!! I guess when I took the panel off to clean up the wiring the ignitor coincidently went bad.. Doesn’t really make a ton of sense, but regardless she’s running now!

Thanks SO much for pointing me in the right direction!

One last question for whoever buys this cart from me, does the pew-MCI Robin have an internal governor or does it govern from the ignitor? If from the ignitor, does the Red Hawk ignitor have a governor?
Old 09-02-2022, 06:18 PM   #14
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMunkey View Post
I replaced the ignitor with a new Red Hawk ignitor and Bob’s your auntie… SHE’S ALIVE!! I guess when I took the panel off to clean up the wiring the ignitor coincidently went bad.. Doesn’t really make a ton of sense, but regardless she’s running now!

Thanks SO much for pointing me in the right direction!

One last question for whoever buys this cart from me, does the pew-MCI Robin have an internal governor or does it govern from the ignitor? If from the ignitor, does the Red Hawk ignitor have a governor?
The ignitor has a Rev Limiter built in it. There is a governor inside the differential on all these carts.
Make sure you check this cart that fried the ignitor. It might be overcharging.

I also never try and crank one using the highest setting on my old Century battery charger set to crank mode. That also can fry one.

One more thing that you might or might not know. Never check for spark letting the plug wire arc to engine using something like a screwdriver.

Best to use a spark tester.

Thanks for letting us know about the Red Hawk ignitor working. Good choice. I am glad you didn't go with the cheap ones. I have a box full of those here at my shop. Good luck
trig123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 03:26 PM   #15
GreaseMunkey
Not Yet Wild

So I checked the voltage regulator and it’s fluctuating with RPM’s, it’s getting north of 16-17 volts. The service manual mentions 14ish volts regardless of RPM.

I assume that mine is bad and overcharging, is that correct?
Old 09-03-2022, 03:37 PM   #16
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
So I checked the voltage regulator and it’s fluctuating with RPM’s, it’s getting north of 16-17 volts. The service manual mentions 14ish volts regardless of RPM.

I assume that mine is bad and overcharging, is that correct?
Yes, I wouldn't run that engine until you get one. 14.5 give or take a few 10ths is all it should charge.
I would get the OEM if it were me. Good protection from frying the new ignitor It is high but worth it. 27739G01
I buy from country cat. $85.64 wow but what hasn't went up in the last two years.
Old 09-03-2022, 04:09 PM   #17
GreaseMunkey
Not Yet Wild

Ok, that was my next question.. Are the aftermarket ones as reliable as OEM. Looks like it’s back to the parts rack.
Old 09-03-2022, 04:23 PM   #18
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Ok, that was my next question.. Are the aftermarket ones as reliable as OEM. Looks like it’s back to the parts rack.
I just cannot trust these cheap ones myself but I have worked on golf carts that had them and they charged fine.

Check with the place Tuesday you bought the ignitor from . Maybe they have one that will be ok. Your ignitor worked
Old 09-16-2022, 01:39 AM   #19
GreaseMunkey
Not Yet Wild

Thanks to all the guys that helped me on this build! I got her finished up, posted on FB marketplace and sold.. Now I can afford for the wife to be off of work with the baby for 12 weeks (OUCH)..

I ended up with about $1,100 in it and sold it for $3,500 within 18 hours of posting it.

Now the next project is a baby crib, then on to putting high speed gears in the Club Car..
Old 09-16-2022, 02:20 AM   #20
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Surely it would be more fun to put the high speed gears on the crib
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical issues, ezgo no spark, ezgo one spark
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO