lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-02-2022, 07:09 PM   #1
Bamcnabb
Not Yet Wild

Default 1989/90 EZGO Marathon No power / won't start

I have a 1989 (?) EZGO Marathon that quit on me suddenly. Only 'click' when pressing on the pedal is the Pedal microswitch (no solenoid). However, I have checked the solenoid and battery are functioning. I have 12 V to the positive terminal of the solenoid, but not to the smaller terminal. When I jumper across the solenoid large terminals the cart turn over and wheels rotate both fwd and rev when F-N-R switch is in the respective position. Also, no reverse buzzer when switch is in Reverse until I jumper it, then the buzzer alarms.

I did also get continuity on the pedal switch and key switch when active.
My assumption is a corroded cable, or grounding issue? Any help or more troubleshooting would be appreciated.
Bamcnabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-03-2022, 12:02 AM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1989/90 EZGO Marathon No power / won't start

Find the fuse. There is a small wire on the large lug of the solenoid that connects to battery positive. That wire goes to the key switch. It should have a black plastic fuse holder.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 12:58 AM   #3
Bamcnabb
Not Yet Wild

Sorry, I should have also said I checked (and in good faith, replaced) the in-line fuses.
Thanks for response.
Old 09-03-2022, 07:51 AM   #4
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Set your meter to DC voltage. Black probe on battery negative. Red probe to the key switch. Check both sides. If both sides show voltage, move to the neutral safety switch. It's located on the bottom right side of the FnR switch. If you still have voltage move to the pedal switch. You are looking to see where voltage is lost in a series circuit.
Old 09-03-2022, 07:56 AM   #5
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

The reverse buzzer gets power from the hot side of the key switch. The problem has to be in the wire that holds the fuse. Maybe a bad connection at the fuse holder.
Old 09-03-2022, 07:30 PM   #6
Bamcnabb
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
Set your meter to DC voltage. Black probe on battery negative. Red probe to the key switch. Check both sides. If both sides show voltage, move to the neutral safety switch. It's located on the bottom right side of the FnR switch. If you still have voltage move to the pedal switch. You are looking to see where voltage is lost in a series circuit.
Neither side of key switch has any Voltage. Only place I get voltage is at the hot side of solenoid.
Old 09-03-2022, 11:26 PM   #7
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

As I said before, the problem is in the fused wire between the hot side of the solenoid and the key switch. Add a jumper wire to confirm it.
Old 09-13-2022, 11:17 PM   #8
Bamcnabb
Not Yet Wild

Finally had some more time to troubleshoot. I replaced the wire between small solenoid terminal and Key switch, still nothing. If I jumper from battery + to the key switch the solenoid fires and everything works. Can jumper straight to reverse buzzer it works. Can not get any Voltage anywhere other than across battery and to large + solenoid without jumpering.
Old 09-14-2022, 01:35 AM   #9
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

You need to replace the small wire that is connected to the large hot side of the solenoid. It also connects to the hot side of the key switch. And just by chance, there will be a large black fuse holder in the middle of it.
Old 09-14-2022, 03:14 AM   #10
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

After reading again what you replaced, there shouldn't be a direct wire between the solenoid small terminal and key switch. It should go through the key switch to FnR micro switch then to pedal switch before going to the small solenoid terminal. I will repeat though, the loss of power is in the fused wire.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO