lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-03-2022, 10:44 AM   #1
thinfire
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Done with steering problem-HELP!

Sorry for the long post but please bear with me.
I’m really looking for some experienced opinions/ advice here as I’m getting really frustrated.

4 years ago we bought a 2000 stock EZGO gas 4 seater.
Since then I have lifted it and have been trying to solve the wild steering problem I have had.
Everything in the front end has been replaced.
I rebuilt the steering box but it still had slop in it.
I bought an aftermarket box from Amazon,(mainly because of their return policy) and installed it, not the cheapest one ether, at this point price is becoming secondary.
It was better at first but seemed to get a bit looser after a few drives, could be my imagination at work here.
The slop is around 1 1/2 inches on the top of the steering wheel.
I looked at the steering shaft connection to the input shaft and no play there but could easily see the excess slop in the box when I turned the steering wheel.
I called the company and was told that a 1 to 1 1/2 inch dead spot was normal and not defective ( I’m having trouble believing this) and that he hasn’t had a defective one in 10 years, (not sure I believe that ether).
He told me to go get OEM.

The question is, is some degree of slop normal? And if so then how much is acceptable.
Would an OEM box solve the problem and tighten this thing up? OEM boxes are $746 from EZGO plus shipping. (Ouch!)
Are there better aftermarket boxes I can purchase or are they all made by the Same few companies as I was told?
The only thing I haven’t done is shoot some additional grease into the box. The cart is not at our home and therefore not as accessible as I would like to try the grease thing.
Whew! I feel better now.
Thanks for hanging in there with me.

Bearings are greased and tight, new bushings and king pins, new ball joints and tie rods- all tightened down. New heavy duty springs all around.
Adjusted the toe-in to 1/8 inch. No adjustment available for camber on the All Sports lift kit.
thinfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-03-2022, 12:41 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Done with steering problem-HELP!

IMO those 3 bolt steering columns suck, plain and simple. I’ve never had one that DIDN’T have play. Then again I never drove one 20 years ago when they were new either…

Mid way through 2002 they switched to a 4 bolt steering column and use an actual rack and pinion. The parts for the newer ones are way cheaper than the old steering boxes, and it’s a much, much better system. (The $60 steering rack on Amazon has worked just fine in carts I’ve replaced). It does take a little modification to the floor pan but you can now buy a weld in adapter plate to convert to the newer better steering setup. I’d recommend this if you were going to really make an effort to fix it. Little more work but much more solid and would get rid of all the excessive play you dislike now. Especially with a lifted cart.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 03:12 PM   #3
thinfire
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the reply, I didn’t know there was a conversion solution. I’m not sure what exactly is required, I did find some information on a different post and it’s within my abilities but the other post didn’t cover everything.
I have gone so far down this path that if a new rack is a solution then I’ll take it.
I just want to have realistic expectations. If all racks have play or my new one is out of spec.
thinfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 06:40 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Maybe trig or someone old that dealt with these carts when they were new could advise. But I’m pretty sure every one of the old style steering ones I’ve ever had was loose. But I usually buy carts when they’ve been left for dead so maybe not a great point of reference
Old 09-04-2022, 12:11 AM   #5
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

I'm old!

No degree of slop or play is normal. it should all be nice and tight and precise. Ant play whatsoever needs to be addressed.

I have never used an aftermarket steering box so can't comment on that. What I will say though, is unlike CP241, I preferred the old style. On OEM boxes, the play was usually in the big brass/bronze Bush in the case that the drag link rotates in. If you cannot find play anywhere else, then this is likely to be the issue, especially if you did not replace it when you rebuilt the OEM rack. There is also a sprung tensioner at the bottom behind the plate with the grease point that holds the rack tight and if the spring is weak, you will get some play. There are also bushes in the steering casing that the rack slides in and these are likely worn too. EZGO stopped selling the individual parts for the box and you had to buy the whole casing. I do not think you can get any of these parts now except aftermarket. You really need to get someone to rock the steering and watch and feel everywhere to locate any point that shows play. Look under the front and grab the drag link where the tie rods connect and try pushing and pulling on it. If you feel movement, the Bush is not a good fit. By all means consider updating to the later four bolt steering, but it is much more prone to damage when hitting bumps.

To be honest, If this issue started after you fitted a lift kit, I would suspect the issue is not the steering rack but more likely to be in the spindles, bushes etc on the lift kit.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 01:34 AM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
I'm old!
Zero disagreement from me

My biggest issue with the old style steering is not that it’s a bad design, but that it’s obsolete. It’s just nearly impossible to find parts for them anymore and the entire assembly is incredibly expensive.

Converting to the new style is a good bit of work, but much more serviceable
Old 09-04-2022, 02:06 AM   #7
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Service kits are available for the three bolt boxes, but do not include any bushes. The big idler Bush is available on amazon, but the small steel bushes can be sourced from any bearing supplier. All you need is the dimensions, known in the UK as split bush bearings. I can still fully rebuild them unless the casing is damaged. Luckily I still have new casings in storage, but you can still get them aftermarket.
Old 09-04-2022, 02:26 AM   #8
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

How to convert,

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=60868

You can buy the plate to make things easier. Plus all the other parts needed. Not a cheap option to be honest as you would have to change the lift kit or whole front end including axle to accomodate the new rack.

https://golfcartsmodified.com/produc...32046463615081
Old 09-04-2022, 03:09 AM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
Service kits are available for the three bolt boxes, but do not include any bushes. The big idler Bush is available on amazon, but the small steel bushes can be sourced from any bearing supplier. All you need is the dimensions, known in the UK as split bush bearings. I can still fully rebuild them unless the casing is damaged. Luckily I still have new casings in storage, but you can still get them aftermarket.
You keep mentioning bushes.

She’ll be riding 6 white horses when she comes…

Old 09-04-2022, 03:36 AM   #10
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

You have done it again lol. What happened to your nonsense thread
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO