lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-26-2010, 03:24 PM   #21
BRS
Master BS'r

Club Car

Default Re: Got my motor back from PQ

Long at last....I have installed my PQ D-380. Along with this upgrade I replaced all my cables with 1g. I mismeasured my new cables so I had to "rig" them for the time being...I made an exstension lug to lug to make one of my connections from motor to controller (grn cable). Shortly before this I had upped my tires to 24x10x10 mudlights from 22x11x10 all terrain. I lost speed with these tires? I figured my two year old batts. were the culprit because of their constant "hissing" behavior. Anyway, I ran 27mph before tire change, cable change, PQ motor rewind. Now I run 25mph with noticeable torque increase, low and top end. I have to once again blame the batts. or figure the motor is too hungry and needs more volts? PQ did me a service on rebuilding my motor as it did have 2 bad studs they did not charge me for in the upgrade. I don't feel I've accomplished much. Maybe I shot myself in the foot with the aggressive taller tires, although Ricky didn't see this to be an issue?, maybe the batts. are just not up to par? Maybe something else is going on I have not discovered yet. BTW, my cart ran for a 1/2 hour constant running and then died in 5 minutes...I think the motor is making demands my batts. can't live up to....which Ricky told me "the state of the batts. is critical for a PQ upgrade" so no arguements. Just wish, of course, my cart would have climbed to 30mph before it ran out of juice. Jury still out, keep you all updated.
BRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-26-2010, 06:40 PM   #22
cwayaustx
Gone Wild
Club Car

That d380 should have no problem turning those tires. I turned 27 inch tires no problem with a stock d380. I would suspect the batteries, especially with previous battery problems.
cwayaustx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:05 AM   #23
BRS
Master BS'r

Club Car

I agree, I'm thinking if I'm buying a whole new pack...might as well start phase 99 and go to 64 or 72 volts. This of course would require me to fabricate a new batt. rack, new controller, solenoid and a charging method. I know there's a thread buried in here some where showing how some you guys have done this modification. I have no doubt the PQ motor is a total quality product...so please don't misinterpet any of my posts. I am very pleased with all their support, in addition I have stock PQ motor on my son's 36 volt resistor cart that runs 19-20 on 2 1/2 year old batts. I was well advised and knew my pack was questionable. I've heard there may be some quality issues with the trojans these days and that interstate may be the way to go?
Old 12-27-2010, 10:33 AM   #24
bokeasmowl
friends call me Boke

Yamaha

look at the specs between comparable Trojan and Interstates. I'm going with Interstates or US batteries for my next pack. Look at the GC8XHD in Interstate or the 8VGCHCXC US battery. They both have identicle specs and are better than the Trojans. Price is better too.
bokeasmowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:47 AM   #25
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Go have the batteries load tested and quit guessing whether they are good or marginal.
Is this a 12 x 4 or a 8 x 6 , 48 volt cart ?
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:15 AM   #26
BRS
Master BS'r

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLEEMO View Post
Go have the batteries load tested and quit guessing whether they are good or marginal.
Is this a 12 x 4 or a 8 x 6 , 48 volt cart ?
Sorry, they are 8 volt batts., 48volt, so I could put two in the bagwell, but that's where I have my accessory batt. Besides the only issue in a CC unfortantley is the stock batt. rack, not like an ez slow where you have plenty of room! I have two other carts to use as daily users until I can complete the upgrade....but it's gonna take some greenbacks.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:10 AM   #27
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

as far as batteries go if you are updating to 72 Volt system then 6 x 12 = 72 ,
so it would fit perfect (depending on battery size, check Width depth and Height).
Upgrade controller, if it is not rated up to 72 Volts (some are).
Upgrade to High Voltage solenoid(s).
Upgrade cables,
F & R switch
New Charger
Big motor

Work back-wards getting everything ready for the 72 Volt batteries, then it will still operate at 48 Volts until you drop the new Batteries in

then stand back and watch her

we love pictures
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:39 PM   #28
BRS
Master BS'r

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLEEMO View Post
as far as batteries go if you are updating to 72 Volt system then 6 x 12 = 72 ,
so it would fit perfect (depending on battery size, check Width depth and Height).
Upgrade controller, if it is not rated up to 72 Volts (some are).
Upgrade to High Voltage solenoid(s).
Upgrade cables,
F & R switch
New Charger
Big motor

Work back-wards getting everything ready for the 72 Volt batteries, then it will still operate at 48 Volts until you drop the new Batteries in

then stand back and watch her

we love pictures
The d-380 will handle 72 volts, (It is a Big motor), coudn't run it if I hadn't done most of the upgrades you are refering to, I think it may even handle 96 volts and run 50 mph.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:44 PM   #29
cwayaustx
Gone Wild
Club Car

I'm not positive but you might want to be careful turning a 380 at 72v without some banding added. That motor spins fast and will handle 72v but from what I have read, not stock. Just my .02
cwayaustx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 03:10 PM   #30
BRS
Master BS'r

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwayaustx View Post
I'm not positive but you might want to be careful turning a 380 at 72v without some banding added. That motor spins fast and will handle 72v but from what I have read, not stock. Just my .02
Yes, I agree completely...don't want that motor jumping off the axel or twisting up my leafs.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car