lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-31-2010, 06:23 AM   #1
howlinhound
Not Yet Wild

Default Controller arcing

I have an 85 ez go that has new batteries and cables.It will run fine for about 30 seconds and then begins to arc on the controller buttons,looks like someone is welding down in there. I have checked all wiring and it is correct.Could this be a sign of a bad spot in motor windings?I pulled the controller after it did it first time and filed buttons and pigtail that feeds them. Any info would be greatly appreciated
howlinhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-31-2010, 10:46 PM   #2
cwayaustx
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Controller arcing

Are you sure it's coming out of your controller not forward reverse switch? What are you calling buttons? I have never had nor worked on an 85 ezgo, but I believe it is a resistor cart not a controller cart. Can you take some pics of the area that is arcing? I am sure someone with more experience than myself will come along and be more help. Until then, try to get some pics up.
cwayaustx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:09 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

He is referring to the contact buttons in the speed wiper assembly. You may need to rebuild the speed wiper. You can replace the wiper contact and the terminal lugs or buttons as you call them.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:17 PM   #4
howlinhound
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for your input, yes speed wiper control. Pa traded for old cart, I think I can fix anything.......Cart was junk,one terminal burnt off motor, wire was toast, speed wiper frozen up, I started by cleaning and checking motor.Ohmed good..Brushes looked new, ,Repaired terminal and made new insulators. Freed up wiper and resurfaced Terminal studs as well as pigtail surface, checked motor using batt. charger and it ran fine both directions. Well, maybe its not toasted......New batteries, new cables, ran fine both directions on jackstands for minutes,you know back and forth various speeds, we were celebrating....Went out to chase dog, Ran down the drive up into yard and headed back to shop, cart jerked and went to welding between contacts, drug back to shop and pulled wiper, scared pretty good. Filed contact points again. Ran fine on jackstands for 5 or more minutes both directions. Went to chase dog..........Same thing.....I think it has to be motor shorting inside,,,,Open it up and I find nothing that looks like scaring,Ohms comes back good... I thank you for your opinions.....
howlinhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:53 PM   #5
cwayaustx
Gone Wild
Club Car

You would need a Megger to test the motor properly. You obviously have a high current draw and the wiper is your weakest link(assuming no bad terminations) did you make the cables yourself or buy them premade? Do you have access to an IR heat gun? If so maybe you can jack the rear up and see what starts getting hot first as you operate it. Someone else can probably tell you from experience what is causing this. Also, if you know any electricians maybe you could borrow a megger and and test the integrity of the windings. I think your problem lies in a bad connection. I would definately try an IR gun and see exactly where the heat is coming from, cable, motor etc..
Old 01-01-2011, 10:57 PM   #6
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Welcome to BGW!

Replace the wiper board with a new one, same for the wiper. "Fixing" this stuff could mean anything, but "new" means new.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:06 PM   #7
cwayaustx
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
Welcome to BGW!

Replace the wiper board with a new one, same for the wiper. "Fixing" this stuff could mean anything, but "new" means new.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO