lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-23-2011, 06:42 PM   #11
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Default Re: Store electric Club Car for AZ hot summer

neither , when battery is charging it will boil, causing bubbles (stinking gas)
when the bubbles burst, it' what causes the tops to get wet.
With a battery closed up charging 2 times a month for 6 months will not deplete enough to expose battery core.

But now add 100+ heat and 0% humidity all bets are off.
Leaving batteries opened up so U can add water = more evaporation ....etc.
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-23-2011, 10:56 PM   #12
jhp1940
Not Yet Wild

I am not really talking about leaving the tops of the batteries open, but addiing an automatic water adding system with valve in each cell that senses the level in each cell and shuts off flow when water level reaches proper level. Each cell has a float shut off that will shut off the water flow when it covers the battery plates. Will it work OK? The system that I an thinking of buying has a fill valve in each battery cell that shuts off flow when the battery water level is optimum. For a 6 8 volt battery system requires 24 valves. It costs over $200 plus the cost of the water gravity system. I was wondering if just pulling both the plus and minus cables off the battery pack would accomplish the same purpose without damaging the batteries in AZ heat in a garage.
jhp1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:52 PM   #13
carguy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Smile Re: Store electric Club Car for AZ hot summer

Battery sulfation takes place when a lead acid battery sits unused for a period of time. (3 month's ?)

Look at google for "battery sulfation". They can 'splain it better than I can.

I am a long way from being an expert about batteries. Perhaps other forum members can offer thier .02 cents worth.

Dave
carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:03 AM   #14
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

The CC Power Drive charger should take of any and all problems other than distilled water addition problem?
I do have a conserns about the "new batterys"? If these are truly new un broken in batterys I would contact "battery manufacturer" ( NOT A RETAIL SELLER ) about best way to handle your different problem? Not to knock knowledge of most retail sellers of batterys, but advise from SOME would be far less than correct so this is why I say go to manufacturers for good input?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:13 PM   #15
jhp1940
Not Yet Wild

yep! these are new - Been around the block twice - which is less than a mile. I'll contact Trojan. Thanks Mec
Old 03-24-2011, 07:05 PM   #16
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Hey if thats true , go for it they are under warrenty
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:56 AM   #17
jhp1940
Not Yet Wild

Last summer I had the neighbor plug in my charger to the wall socket and check to see if it came on. I told him to wait about 10- 15 seconds as it does not start until it checks the battery charge (48V Club Car). He said it never came on? When I came back in the fall everything was OK. He plugged in the water system once a month and the rotating thing in line that indicates its filling the batteries hardly moved at all. Using the same water all winter and only used maybe a half gallon seven months golfing 3 times a week 18 holes plus travel to and from golf course. I always filled after charging. I talked to a golf cart repair guy and said my charger could stay plugged in all the time. He said it has a circuit that checks battery charge and only charges when batteries drop in voltage. Batteries are still strong. Leaving again tomorrow for MN. Will jack up cart this year to keep tires off garage floor. Flat spots are a pain.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:24 AM   #18
carguy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Smile Re: Store electric Club Car for AZ hot summer

I have a neighbor comming over every 3-4 weeks, checks the water, plugs in the charger & makes sure it comes on.

Comes back in 8-10 hours and unplugs the charger, both from the car and the wall outlet.

There have been garage fires where people have left the charger pluged in for month's at a time.

Payin somebody $10-$15 per charge is a lot cheaper than rebuilding after a fire!

just my .02 worth

Dave

Last edited by carguy; 05-03-2012 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: corrections
carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #19
jhp1940
Not Yet Wild

I reckon leaving a charger plugged in is sort of leaving your electric water heater on forever. I left my charger on for three days at a time during the winter here in AZ and it has never over heated. I also keep my gas furnace on in my MN place all winter at 45 degrees. Sure its a risk that something might happen, but I believe its remote. My furnace has yet to explode. My refrigerator is still working after 15 years - no smoke. Are battery chargers or battereis suddenly going to catch fire? The charger has a fused input. Battereis going to catch fire? Don't think so. Do you have any proof of that happening? Its only my opinion. I really don't knnow if there is any real danger.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:48 PM   #20
jhp1940
Not Yet Wild

A golf cart repair person told me its OK to leave the charger on all the time for a Club Car as there is a circuit that detects battery voltage and only turns on when batterys need a charge. My neighbior connected the charger to the wall socket monthly and said it never came on. I am wondeering if he waited long enough?

Tags
battery
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car