lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-25-2011, 04:06 PM   #1
kpauley
Gone Wild

Default 99 EZGO TXT Won't Go...

Our 99 EX-Go TXT stopped going this last week. It's fairly well abused on a farm, but I'm sure I can get it going again, just need to be pointed in the right direction.

My wife was using it and it started to just lose power, barely made it back to the barn. Figured it wasn't getting a charge, so I plugged it into our charger which usually take a few seconds to start charging and it didn't start. Last time I saw that it was because it wasn't at full voltage so the charger would not kick in.

Batteries are old, I know it, trying to buy time of course... I checked voltage, was between 33-35, so I figured I'd charge things manually. I disconnected the batteries and got them paired up so I could plug into my 12V trickle charger and ran that, seemed to work fine. Reconnected them all together and I'm seeing a full 36V, including at the charging port.

Turn the key on, press the go pedal and I hear (and can feel) the solenoid flipping, but I have no go in either FWD or REV.

Additionally, when I plug the charger in, it still does not kick on and start charging.

Do these symptoms point to anything in particular failing? Thought I'd post this and see, before I went into troubleshooting steps from the manual.... :-)
kpauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-25-2011, 04:40 PM   #2
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 99 EZGO TXT Won't Go...

Sounds like your batteries are failing/failed and especially under load.

BTW, 36v is near dead. You should be seeing +/- ~39v on a fully charged 36v pack.
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:43 PM   #3
kpauley
Gone Wild

I've been thinking that the batteries were on their last leg since we got the thing, just been trying to avoid spending the money. We'll find out tomorrow if it takes care of all the issues :-)
Old 04-26-2011, 10:29 AM   #4
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Don't know if you have a DCS or not but it has been posted here and elsewhere that running a DCS system on lower than normal voltages has been reported to damage and/or fail the controller.

Good luck.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:37 AM   #5
kpauley
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by pggroves View Post
Don't know if you have a DCS or not but it has been posted here and elsewhere that running a DCS system on lower than normal voltages has been reported to damage and/or fail the controller.

Good luck.

How can I tell if I have a DCS or not and is there a diagnostics/health check I can do on the controller?
Old 04-26-2011, 10:57 AM   #6
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpauley View Post
How can I tell if I have a DCS or not and is there a diagnostics/health check I can do on the controller?
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-new-post.html
Old 04-26-2011, 11:14 AM   #7
kpauley
Gone Wild

I should have known the DCS thing, I have been asked this before :-)

I don't have the run/tow switch, so I think I have a Series/Fleet model. Does this mean I should not be concerned about this issue?

I'm going to head down in a couple of hours and put the batteries in, what I want to avoid is damaging the new batteries and/or the controller any more if there is something else I should be doing before putting them in. I do know the batteries that were in there are quite old, I'll check the exact date when I go down there, but I'm suspicious of them to begin with.

Ken
Old 04-26-2011, 12:58 PM   #8
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Put in the new pack and see what you have.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:28 PM   #9
kpauley
Gone Wild

Well now I'm wondering if I solved the right problem :-) It goes again, I have 37 volts too, so that is good. The batteries that were in there had June 2004 ship dates, so they are 7 years old.

However, when I plug in the charger, it still doesn't kick in and start charging. I'm going to check out the charging troubleshooting now.

I also noticed that on the white connector that goes into the controller, there are 5 wires that go into that 6 position plug, which is normal. The outside Black wire (position 6) was disconnected, looked like the connector is missing inside the plug. It has been that way for some time so I don't believe it is a cause. However, on the wiring diagram it is not clear where that wire goes or what it does. It just shows BLK but has no wire trace drawn so it doesn't show where it goes.

I'm also concerned about the resistor stuff on the solenoid. I see one there, the other one looks like it was just jumpered with a solid wire. Again, this has always been this way, but it's not what the diagram shows.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:05 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

There are 4 wires in the 6 pin connector. The 2 outside pins closest to A2 are not used.

Check the voltage in the charger receptacle. What does the charger see when you plug it in?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO