lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-19-2011, 01:30 PM   #1
nealer
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Welding on my cart

Hello
I need to make some repairs to my seat back and I was wondering if it is OK to weld it. Do I need to disconnect anything?
Thanks!
nealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-19-2011, 01:33 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: Welding on my cart

its been a few years since i welded on one but i did nothing special........if you want to you can disconnect your main pos and neg. battery cables after you put it in tow if you have a run/tow switch if not just disconnect them and tape ends so they don,t touch anything.......other than that you should be fine.................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:39 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

There is no frame ground on the electric carts. Check with your voltmeter to confirm... a little stray voltage 1-2v won't hurt but, usually indicates leaking caps and wet trays

Keep your leads reasonably close together and keep sparks away from the batteries at all cost. That's how I do it.... other's may have better advice?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:40 PM   #4
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

definately disconnect the battery pack from the controller so that you don't accidentially arc anything.... As Shadow said, disconnect those 2 wires and tape them up.... In a pinch, you can even use the battery pack itself as a power source for welding with a good set of jumper cables and a few welding rods..... lmao
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:36 PM   #5
LakeNut
Not Yet Wild

The two most important items are to make sure you have no hydrogen gas around, and you have a really good ground connection really close to where you are welding.

The first one has a few parts. Make sure your batteries are well ventilated, and ideally not recently charged or drained.

As for the ground. Ideally make sure you have a freshly sanded contact point, ideally with only a few inches of steel between it and where you are welding, and a good quality clamp. The cast brass ones are probably best, and Northern Tool usually has a reasonable price on them. Heck, I've even thought grounding both sides of some joints, especially if the fit up is less than stellar.

I almost worry that disconnected battery leads are an invitation for the wiring to act as an antenna, and induce voltage into any electronics. If one disconnects the battery, I'd be tempted to let it sit disconnected for a half hour. Then tie the load side (NOT BATTERY) positive and negative terminals together, so that stray voltages can't be induced.

But the big ones are making sure you don't have any hydrogen around, and that you have a good ground close to the work.
LakeNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:08 AM   #6
nealer
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Great!Thanks for all the input, i appreciate it.
nealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO