lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-28-2011, 07:59 AM   #11
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: DCS Solenoid question

Quote:
Originally Posted by desigmon View Post
Well, I got the controller, solenoid and cables installed. HOLY CRAP, what a difference. I think before the install the cart would top out at maybe 10mph before. I had some really bad cables that I think slowed the fleet speed even more. But now I'm doing 20-23. I really need to program that controller for 50-75% speed untill I can get some decent tires and tighten up the steering a little.

Is there any way to limit speed with an external toggle switch? Maybe somehow limit the amps to the motor?
Go to Alltrax.com and get the free download software. It is pretty simple to reprogram the controller to what ever percentage of full power you want.
You will need a PC or laptop and a usb to serial cable.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-28-2011, 08:10 AM   #12
desigmon
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Yeah, I know I can do that. I was just wondering if there was a way to limit speed external of the controller. I want to do it mechanically instead of with the computer. I don't want to need the computer everytime I want to turn the speed back up. This way I can hide a switch so my daughter can drive the cart at 1/2 speed

Thank you for everything Scotty. Your directions made it so easy to install everything.
desigmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:18 AM   #13
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by desigmon View Post
Yeah, I know I can do that. I was just wondering if there was a way to limit speed external of the controller. I want to do it mechanically instead of with the computer. I don't want to need the computer everytime I want to turn the speed back up. This way I can hide a switch so my daughter can drive the cart at 1/2 speed

Thank you for everything Scotty. Your directions made it so easy to install everything.

The controller is designed for quick easy computer programming...... I see what you mean about a switch though..... there may be a way, but it is not something I have had a need for. I say there may be a way because there is a 1/2 speed reverse mode that technically could be activated by a switch. But again I have no diagram or knowledge of a simple way to do this.......hopefully somebody smarter in this area will chime in.

Thanks for taking the time to acknowledge the time that goes into providing an easy controller upgrade for the average Joe

Not that you're average ...
Old 07-28-2011, 10:50 AM   #14
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

ok, simplest way to do this is to remove the orange wire form the F&R micro. run a pair of wires to wherever you mount the switch. Install the wires on the switch. Go back to the orange wire and connect it to one of the wires coming from the switch. The other wire from the switch needs to be connected to 36v positive (hint, the best place to do this is on the micro closest to the battery pack on the F&R)

Switch off would be full speed, switch on would be half speed.

Side note..... you have to make sure in the programming of the controller that the half speed reverse box is checked or it will not go half speed regardless of switch direction.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:56 AM   #15
desigmon
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Awesome! I'll try that. Now will this 1/2 speed toggle hurt my motor, i.e. overheat it?
Old 07-28-2011, 11:29 AM   #16
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

no, the motor will simply be getting the voltage that the controller is outputting, I have run 36 volt motors on 12 volts for hours on end in the past (don't ask why... I was trying something out as a favor for a friend) with no damage to the motor. the important part is that it will not hurt the controller because the controller is fooled into thinking it is in reverse all the time and limits the output accordingly without reducing the input.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:57 AM   #17
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Dave, use a 2 terminal key switch instead of a toggle and mount it in the dash so the kids can't find it and defeat it.... bingo! Thanks rabbit
Old 07-28-2011, 12:26 PM   #18
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

actually this isn't going to work.... I am an idiot and when you Emailed me about it Scotty, I assumed it was a Series cart, on the DCS cart, you simply can't do this. The controller decides the direction of travel based on which micro or micros are activated. The only way to slow down a DCS cart would be to go internally into the programming and set it for half throttle. There simply is no other method of doing it on a sepex cart.

I am so sorry for giving you false information, I should have realized we were discussing a DCS cart and not a series cart from the title of the thread, I was just in too much of a hurry and didn't read all of it properly.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:58 PM   #19
desigmon
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Oh well, you can't win them all. I was talking with a guy here at work and mentioned that a rheostat may work. What are you guys' thoughts?
Old 07-28-2011, 01:22 PM   #20
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I can't for the life of me see how that sould work.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO