lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-04-2011, 07:49 PM   #11
derekbooth
Not Yet Wild

I'm letting the terminals soak in baking soda right now hoping this might do it. Earlier today I tested each individual battery and all were between 6.1 and 6.2 or so. But That was with the pedal up of course. I'm assuming you are asking me to find the one (or two or more!) that drop with the pedal down yeah?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.686691,-117.245905
derekbooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-05-2011, 11:48 AM   #12
derekbooth
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Cart died... looking for direction

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekbooth View Post
I'm letting the terminals soak in baking soda right now hoping this might do it. Earlier today I tested each individual battery and all were between 6.1 and 6.2 or so. But That was with the pedal up of course. I'm assuming you are asking me to find the one (or two or more!) that drop with the pedal down yeah?
http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.686691,-117.245905
No luck on cleaning the terminals up. I did find the culprit though. Battery #5. A Jan '07 Trojan.

So now the decision must be made: Do I buy just (1) 6V battery? Or do I bite the bullet and replace all of them? Argh!!!
Old 09-05-2011, 01:02 PM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
No luck on cleaning the terminals up. I did find the culprit though. Battery #5. A Jan '07 Trojan.

So now the decision must be made: Do I buy just (1) 6V battery? Or do I bite the bullet and replace all of them? Argh!!!
Food for thought.
* Most likely, all of the batteries have received the same TLC for nearly 5 years and one has failed, so how long will it be until the next one fails?
* A new battery will have to be replaced when the other five eventually are, or it becomes the weakest link in the new chain and will limit the performance of the newer batteries.
* You might get a better price on a set.

If you bite the bullet, remember to fully charge before first use and to break them in properly. (New batteries have to be "Matured" to reach full storage capacity)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:08 PM   #14
derekbooth
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Food for thought.
* Most likely, all of the batteries have received the same TLC for nearly 5 years and one has failed, so how long will it be until the next one fails?
* A new battery will have to be replaced when the other five eventually are, or it becomes the weakest link in the new chain and will limit the performance of the newer batteries.
* You might get a better price on a set.

If you bite the bullet, remember to fully charge before first use and to break them in properly. (New batteries have to be "Matured" to reach full storage capacity)
Yea. It's going to get 6 new batteries. The part of me that wants a better performing cart is excited. The part of me that has escrow closing on a new home in 3 weeks is disturbed :)

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.686932,-117.245855
Old 09-11-2011, 10:58 AM   #15
derekbooth
Not Yet Wild

Installed and fully charged a pack of 6 new batteries yesterday. Is it safe to assume that the reference guide I stumbled across here is the voltage you're supposed to read with the pedal down? If so, I definitely need to invest in a dashmounted voltmeter. Jacking the cart up or taking a reading with my multimeter while driving just to check the pack's voltage is going to get awfully inconvenient :)
Old 09-11-2011, 01:19 PM   #16
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
.............Is it safe to assume that the reference guide I stumbled across here is the voltage you're supposed to read with the pedal down? ..........
The Battery Voltage vs State of Charge chart is to be used after the batteries have "Rested" either from being used or being charged.

Batteries acquire a "Surface Charge" during the last phase of recharging and the electrolyte acquires an "Interface Barrier" during use.

Let the batteries rest for 6-12 hours after charging or drive for about 1/2 mile to get rid of surface charge. Then the voltages should match the chart pretty well. Newer batteries will be a bit higher, older ones a bit lower.

During use, the H2SO4 solution nearest the plates becomes weaker than the electrolyte further away, therefore the voltage is lower. Let it rest for a few minutes and the concentration equalizes throughout the solution.

When you install your dash mount DVM, you'll notice the voltage takes a nose dive when you start out and then climb back up. And once you stop, it will climb even higher.

It'll drive you a bit crazy(ier?) at first, but once you remember how batteries work, it makes perfect sense.

Good to see that you charged your new batteries before using them. Be sure to break them in properly to get them up to their full storage capacity and give them some regular TLC and they'll last a long time.

I've heard that it is a good idea to clean and water your batteries monthly and each time you service the batteries, toss a $10 bill in a Mason Jar, so you'll have the money when it is time for a new set.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:10 PM   #17
derekbooth
Not Yet Wild

So pedal up? Lol

Havens driven or charged the cart since yesterday afternoon and reading at 38.00. Guess I will just keep checking in on the voltage until I see it reach around 37 and then re-charge. Or next Saturday... Whichever comes first.

Good idea on the mason jar too!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.686936,-117.245836
Old 09-11-2011, 10:12 PM   #18
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Man Derek long time no talk buddy. What you been up to?? Glad to see your problem is solved!!!
Coltf1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:54 AM   #19
rib33024

read this

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Batter...n_Methods.html

and this

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...one-right.html

yes ........ read it & remember it

Quote:
So pedal up? Lol

Havens driven or charged the cart since yesterday afternoon and reading at 38.00. Guess I will just keep checking in on the voltage until I see it reach around 37 and then re-charge. Or next Saturday... Whichever comes first.

Good idea on the mason jar too!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.686936,-117.245836
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:50 AM   #20
derekbooth
Not Yet Wild

Thanks. I have read that article a good 10 or so times, but being that I don't have a dashmounted voltmeter, I'm relying on a multimeter to get my pack reading. The question I was hoping to gain clarity on is:

Can I take the pack's voltage reading with the cart off, key out and pedal up?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.687157,-117.245915
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO