lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-19-2011, 09:09 PM   #1
Taterbugg
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Hello Everyone New Member Here

Hi I just purchased my first ever golf cart a 2008 Club Car Precedent when i checked the battery pack i was getting over 70 volts that seemed weird since its only a 48 volt cart so i never thought anymore about it till i took it and had a high speed magnet installed and they updated the computer. now i am getting around 52 volts on the pack. Has anyone ever heard of this before? Update. I just got through reading a forum on here and yes my multimeter's battery just died tonight so maybe that was the problem all along. But what is weird i was checking the pack nearly everytime after a full charge for a couple of weeks there and getting around the same reading over 70 volts.

Last edited by Taterbugg; 10-19-2011 at 10:22 PM.. Reason: Didnt finish
Taterbugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-19-2011, 11:10 PM   #2
Stevec3201
haveacupofshutthe****up

Club Car

Default Re: Hello Everyone New Member Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterbugg View Post
Hi I just purchased my first ever golf cart a 2008 Club Car Precedent when i checked the battery pack i was getting over 70 volts that seemed weird since its only a 48 volt cart so i never thought anymore about it till i took it and had a high speed magnet installed and they updated the computer. now i am getting around 52 volts on the pack. Has anyone ever heard of this before? Update. I just got through reading a forum on here and yes my multimeter's battery just died tonight so maybe that was the problem all along. But what is weird i was checking the pack nearly everytime after a full charge for a couple of weeks there and getting around the same reading over 70 volts.
Wecome. I had the same issue with my sperry meter. I was gettting 63 volts, put a new battery in it and voltage was where it should be

That magnet has no affect on your voltage reading. BTW, nice cart! Does it have 4 batteries or 6? Some '08s were built to hold 4 or 6 batteries. You are stuck with 4 if there is a center controller/OBC divider in the middle of the battery box with 2 batteries on each side. I believe the newer precedent has the OBC and controller mounted towards the front of the battery box.

This is a fun site, good luck with your mods!
Stevec3201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:21 AM   #3
Taterbugg
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the reply I think I must have a later model 2008 because mine has the 4 batteries but the Controller/OBC is mounted on the back wall behind the batteries. Thanks again I'm so glad i found this site its awesome.

Last edited by Taterbugg; 10-20-2011 at 01:24 AM.. Reason: edited
Old 10-20-2011, 08:04 AM   #4
Stevec3201
haveacupofshutthe****up

Club Car

Quote:
Thanks for the reply I think I must have a later model 2008 because mine has the 4 batteries but the Controller/OBC is mounted on the back wall behind the batteries. Thanks again I'm so glad i found this site its awesome.
Did you realize that your cart will take 4 12 volt or 6 8 volt batteries prior to you buying it? I'm just curious, as I wish I knew about the newer precedents before I bought mine. Although, I shouldn't complain, I get all the run-time I need with the 4 12s. I've driven non-stop for almost 1.5 hours and still had plenty of power left. (not at full speed, though)
Old 10-21-2011, 12:32 AM   #5
Taterbugg
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Hey, I didn't realize you could do that to these carts but then again i'm new at this golf cart stuff. I would not have never known the difference prior to purchasing these and I got such a good deal on them that I bought four of these 08 Precedent carts for $1,850.00 each and they all were in mint cond. But my wife you know the BOSS around the house LOL... would not let me keep them all so now all my darn neighbors have one oh well Will the other setup of batteries last longer or something whats the deal with that.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:48 AM   #6
Stevec3201
haveacupofshutthe****up

Club Car

Ha ha, Apparently CC got into some dispute with Trojan Battery over run-time and/or longevity with the 4 12 volt setup, so they decided to no longer use Trojan batteries and go back to the 6 8 volt setup. The majority says the 6 8 volt setup does provide for more run-time and some say they last longer. The latter is up for debate, though. Many people that take care of their batteries are getting 4-5 years out of the 4 12 volters. Mine were '07 OEM Trojans, and just got replaced last month. I was not the original owner, so maybe I can beat 4 years. When I bought the cart, water was low and the batts needed a good cleaning (they were neglected), yet lasted almost 5years!

You have the ability to put in 6 8 volt batteries without doing too much, I would have to buy a new battery box ($400) and that's not gonna happen because I get all the run-time I can use.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:10 AM   #7
Taterbugg
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I just finished a full charge on mine and now i'm getting 50.9 volts on the pack is that okay? I did add some distilled water to all the cells maybe a little to much bc i had some acid spots on the floor of my shop. Will that cause the pack to drop a little. I was getting around 53 volts. What should a full pack read?
Old 10-21-2011, 01:42 AM   #8
Stevec3201
haveacupofshutthe****up

Club Car

Quote:
I just finished a full charge on mine and now i'm getting 50.9 volts on the pack is that okay? I did add some distilled water to all the cells maybe a little to much bc i had some acid spots on the floor of my shop. Will that cause the pack to drop a little. I was getting around 53 volts. What should a full pack read?
If the batteries have rested for a few hours, then 50.9 is 100% Read the battery stickies and scottyb http://www.cartsunlimited.net/ has great info on his website on batteries.

After charging, batteries need time to rest to show the proper voltage. Your voltages appear normal. Fill batteries to the bottom of the water level indicator. Always fill batteries after a full charge as water expands. If the water is low before charging, put enough in to just cover the plates.

Acid will ruin concrete
Old 10-21-2011, 02:05 AM   #9
Taterbugg
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks Steve I appreciate all the great advise u gave me. Looks like we will be in touch bc i'm fixing to trick this cart out..I guess i will have to make it stand out a little different since my neighbors has the same carts.

Last edited by Taterbugg; 10-21-2011 at 02:08 AM.. Reason: finish
Old 10-21-2011, 05:42 AM   #10
Stevec3201
haveacupofshutthe****up

Club Car

Quote:
Thanks Steve I appreciate all the great advise u gave me. Looks like we will be in touch bc i'm fixing to trick this cart out..I guess i will have to make it stand out a little different since my neighbors has the same carts.
You should have some fun fixin' it up. Get some lift, wheels, tires and a motor to start with. You can do all of that for around 2K or less, then you will stand out.

BTW, I spent lots of time in Biloxi in the '90s. I miss that BBQ/Seafood buffet in Gulfport (can't remember the name), but they had some great ribs!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car