lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-04-2011, 06:52 PM   #1
royr
Not Yet Wild

Question Removed & cleaned batteries, now won't go?

I have a 2003 Club Car "Villager?". 48V, 6 ea 8v batteries. My cart was fully charged. I saw a lot of corrosion around the batteries, so I put it on "tow" and removed the batteries and cleaned the aluminun frame that the batteries are mounted in. I replaced the batteries in the same way they were when I removed them, I think. There was one red wire that was connected in the middle of the string. I think it must be something that uses 24v. I put the switch back in "Run" after I replaced the batteries. I was able to back the cart up when I first restarted it, but it would not go in forward, or reverse then. The batteries were low on water when I started this operation, so I added water before I tried to start again. They are now "gurgling". I hope that is normal. They even do that when I disconnect the red leads. I connected the charger. It came on, but the needle is pegged below zero, instead of indicating 10 or 15 amps like normal.
I have attached pictures. One of all the batteries and wires, one of what I suspect is a 24v connection red wire, and one of the vehicle labels.
Is it just needing recharging since I added water, or can you tell from the photos if I have wired it wrong?
Once before when my batteries were very low, I had to use a car charger to get the batteries up to a level to where the cart charger would come on and charge the batteries. For this reason, I doubt that my batteries are suffering from a low charge.
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Batteries.jpg (148.6 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 24v wire.jpg (167.7 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Labels.jpg (35.1 KB, 27 views)
royr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-04-2011, 07:00 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: Removed & cleaned batteries, now won't go?

alhough i can,t tell from the 1st pic ( if it were bigger ) you should not have 24 volts anywhere and if its not charging now yes you have it wired wrong which is very easy to do.................i have tried looking at the pic and i see a few things that don,t look right but if you can get the pic bigger i,ll know for sure.................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:15 PM   #3
royr
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
alhough i can,t tell from the 1st pic ( if it were bigger ) you should not have 24 volts anywhere and if its not charging now yes you have it wired wrong which is very easy to do.................i have tried looking at the pic and i see a few things that don,t look right but if you can get the pic bigger i,ll know for sure.................................
I'll try, but they limit me on picture size. If this doesn't work, I can post it on snapfish and give you the link.
The red wire that is in the middle of the string was there from the beginning. This cart had a defroster, windshield wipers, speedometer, etc. Maybe the 24v connection was for one of those things. The speedometer does not work since a long time ago, the wipers do work, and I removed the defroster.
Thanks

Here is the snapfish link:
http://www1.snapfish.com/bellsouth/t...AME=bellsouth/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Batteries.jpg (63.8 KB, 29 views)
Old 12-04-2011, 07:47 PM   #4
Stevec3201
haveacupofshutthe****up

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by royr View Post
I'll try, but they limit me on picture size. If this doesn't work, I can post it on snapfish and give you the link.
The red wire that is in the middle of the string was there from the beginning. This cart had a defroster, windshield wipers, speedometer, etc. Maybe the 24v connection was for one of those things. The speedometer does not work since a long time ago, the wipers do work, and I removed the defroster.
Thanks

Here is the snapfish link:
http://www1.snapfish.com/bellsouth/t...AME=bellsouth/
I'm thinking one battery is backwards. What is your pack voltage?
Stevec3201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:04 PM   #5
royr
Not Yet Wild

I read 48v DC across all 6 batteries.
Facing the battery compartment with my back to the steering wheel, the upper left corner post is Pos. It is connected to the main Red cable and another smaller Red cable.
The Neg post from that first battery is connected to the Pos of the next battery, and repeated across the whole string, Neg to Pos of next battery. This leaves the last battery with the Neg post connected to the main Black lead going to the components compartment. I don't see how this could be backwards, and still read 48v DC.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:38 PM   #6
Stevec3201
haveacupofshutthe****up

Club Car

Quote:
I read 48v DC across all 6 batteries.
That's about 45% charge. Get them on the charger and don't take em off 'till it's done. Going in reverse is way easier than forward.

Let us know what happens.
Stevec3201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:49 PM   #7
royr
Not Yet Wild

So is it normal for the charger to show 0 amps when it comes on? It seems that it normally shows 10-15 amps. What about the "gurgling" noise? I don't think I have heard that before.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:00 PM   #8
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
So is it normal for the charger to show 0 amps when it comes on? It seems that it normally shows 10-15 amps. What about the "gurgling" noise? I don't think I have heard that before.
You should start with at least 10 - 15 amps. Make sure your charger receptacle leads are connected at each end of the battery pack. The gurgling might be from overfilled batteries. You should only have enough water to cover over the plates before charging. After they have fully charged, then fill to the indicator in the battery fill hole.
Just a thought, if your charger has a reset ( circuit breaker ) button, try pushing it in. It could have tripped.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:25 PM   #9
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

roy, that pic is smaller than the one here......there are two 10gage wires from back of charge receptical.......red one goes to #1 battery pos terminal ( rear pass side ) black one to neg. term of #6 battery ( rear driver side ) it looks like the neg isn,t hooked up or hooked to wrong battery......thats why charger isn,t working.....................also there are battery diagrams up in the stickies get one and go over everything but again nothing should be working off 24 volts...........there might be a reducer to go from 24 volts to 12 volts but all the cart acc,s should be off 12 volts.......lets get main cables right and cart charging 1st........................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:47 PM   #10
royr
Not Yet Wild

Facing the battery compartment with my back to the steering wheel, the upper left corner post is Pos. It is connected to the main Red cable and another smaller Red cable.
The Neg post from that first battery is connected to the Pos of the next battery, and repeated across the whole string, Neg to Pos of next battery. This leaves the last battery with the Neg post connected to the main Black lead going to the components compartment. I don't see how this could be backwards, and still read 48v DC.

Tags
batteries wiring
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car