lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-26-2011, 09:53 PM   #1
poormansidebyside
Not Yet Wild

Default G1 Muffler BBQ Fail?

Greetings Everyone,

My newly acquired G1 basically needed nothing, ran good, but did need to use the choke some to get going, also after heating up under some good heavy riding would produce a decent amount of exhaust smoke. I saw the muffler BBQ posts and thought I would try it. After about 2 hours on the fire and letting cool, I was able to remove about a handful of soot/carbon. Now it smokes right away and the whole time I ride it.

My theory is as follows but would love input.
Prior to the BBQ the oily residue was basically gooey and needed to get to a certain temperature before it would smolder. Did the BBQ solidify the residue, breaking it up into lots of tiny little charcoal briquets which smolder much easier?

I think I may just order the Plowman muffler and be done with it but I value input from the experts here.

Thanks!!!
poormansidebyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-27-2011, 07:36 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: G1 Muffler BBQ Fail?

Welcome to BGW! I have heard that doing the BBQ can allow ash/carbon to enter the engine. Hopefully that didn't happen to you...

Check out the last page of the BBQ muffler sticky above. I talked with Don Plowman last week and he gave me some insight on the BBQ....needless to say I ordered his muffler. Good guy, very knowledgeable. He's been doing 2 strokes and cvt's for 30 years. Lot's of G1 experience.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:15 AM   #3
caddylac camper
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Never bbq'd my muffler, but i have burn't carbon out of exhaust manifolds and know it takes a lot of heat to fully burn it off so that it falls out. You may be right in that there is still half cooked carbon in your muffler. I would try another bbq on a good hot fire with lots of coals. Cheaper than a new muffler.
caddylac camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:33 PM   #4
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

It should glow red or you haven't " cooked " it to perfection! When you're all done tons of carbon should come out of it. Take a rubber hammer and tap on it all around. Turn it and keep doing this until no more material falls out. You should be as good as it will get after this procedure!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:15 PM   #5
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Welcome to BGW! I have heard that doing the BBQ can allow ash/carbon to enter the engine. Hopefully that didn't happen to you...

Check out the last page of the BBQ muffler sticky above. I talked with Don Plowman last week and he gave me some insight on the BBQ....needless to say I ordered his muffler. Good guy, very knowledgeable. He's been doing 2 strokes and cvt's for 30 years. Lot's of G1 experience.

How would that happen on the exhaust side?
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:32 PM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by roady89 View Post
How would that happen on the exhaust side?
Something to do with the 2 stroke exhaust "pulse". The air in the exhaust actually moves backwards into the engine to "supercharge" the cylinder with pressure, that's where the infamous 2 stroke power band comes from. I'm far from an expert on this, believe me. Just learning here.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:36 PM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Oh and the factory G1 muffler uses a baffle system rather than an expansion chamber system traditionally seen on sleds and dirt bikes. The Plowman's performance G1 muffler uses a factory housing so that it will bolt up without modifications, but inside is a tuned expansion chamber pipe that will give less restriction and more power, allegedly. I did order one so I will post the results on my hunting buggy build thread.

Tags
bbq, muffler, smokes, yamaha g1
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha