lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #11
89GatorClub
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Secret to remove Steering wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
ok, its just so very rare that you need to put a puller on them like 1 out of a 1000 but if thats what it takes its better then buggering the threads up...............................
I had to fix them last night since I think I hit a little to hard with the 3lb hammer
89GatorClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-19-2012, 06:47 PM   #12
89GatorClub
Gone Wild

Club Car

Well, after getting the correct puller form work....Steering wheel came off in 10 secs
Old 04-19-2012, 07:55 PM   #13
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It may be rare... but it happened so much to me I made a puller.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:08 PM   #14
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89GatorClub View Post
Well, after getting the correct puller form work....Steering wheel came off in 10 secs
glad to hear it, i have to be honest though i have never had to use a puller yet but i assume that day will come..............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:11 AM   #15
etech
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
glad to hear it, i have to be honest though i have never had to use a puller yet but i assume that day will come..............................
I think it may be more common than one would think. I too had to resort to using a puller after trying every method under the sun, including standing on my head.

Congrats to those who can get the job done with simpler techniques.

Ed
etech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:28 AM   #16
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

i just do the old fashioned method of using my knees while applying upwards pressure......works everytime but i,m sure someday i,ll need to use a puller, put it this way since we are talkling about it the next one i do i,m sure i,ll need a puller........you do whatever it takes to get them off and if that means using a puller than by all means you use one......if i thought i was going to bugger up the threads on the shaft i wouldn,t hesitate to put a puller on..........................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:33 AM   #17
89GatorClub
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
i just do the old fashioned method of using my knees while applying upwards pressure......works everytime but i,m sure someday i,ll need to use a puller, put it this way since we are talkling about it the next one i do i,m sure i,ll need a puller........you do whatever it takes to get them off and if that means using a puller than by all means you use one......if i thought i was going to bugger up the threads on the shaft i wouldn,t hesitate to put a puller on..........................................
Yeah I figured this was just pay back since I read everywhere that getting the bolts out of your springs is rough, and I had both rear springs and front spring done start to finish in an 1.5 hours
Old 04-21-2012, 08:53 AM   #18
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Being a locksmith, I have steering wheel pullers coming out my wazoo!
but, my first encounter with a cart steering wheel... NONE of them would have worked!
I used a large gear puller the first time, and it worked... not well... but it worked!
Had I known about the "feet on the dash, and the knees pushing" thing at the time, things would have been different!
I haven't had the experience with a Precedent wheel yet... but, the DS's have never been a problem since!

lockman1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:54 PM   #19
LJ12530
Gone Wild

I feel like I won the lottery. I have to remove the steering wheel for a dash replacement, and based on what I've been reading I feared it was going to be one of those 5 minute jobs that took 2 days. It took 5 minutes. Popped out the bolt, put my feet on the dash, and knees behind the steering wheel. I started to put on a bit of pressure with my knees as I readied the ol' rubber mallet. Before I could hit the thing it popped off. My 09 Precedent has a square, rather than splined, rod, and it had been removed about a year ago.
I realize that this post adds nothing to the conversation, but I was so happy to see a project go EASIER than expected that I just had to add my two cents.
LJ12530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #20
mrphilf
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok, after reading this forum and finding little help with my own wheel, I resorted to using my brain a bit and thinking about all my tools and my race car days. The easy answer is a bearing/gear puller/seperator. Cost is about $30 (although I had one in my tool box). The bracketing is plenty large enough to fully go around the steering wheel center section. Pops it right off just like a steering wheel puller would on a car. No drilling, no muss, no fuss :)
mrphilf is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car