lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-19-2012, 11:14 AM   #1
lithoman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Shocks

One shock on the back of my buggie is compressed at least an inch lower then the other side. I assume they are not adjustable and one is bad. Is there any better then stock that would fit an 99 ezgo txt series cart?
lithoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-19-2012, 11:28 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Shocks

Shocks are just motion dampers, so it might be a weak spring.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

johnnie is correct. i bet you can measure from the ground to the fender well top and see a diff. side to side. if you pull the shocks, this will not change. if the shocks aren't leaking, it is very doubtful they are bad. either a bent frame or a bent/weak spring. ez-go springs only good enough for small amounts of weight, i.e. golf clubs and two riders. also they can't handle jumping! you can often see the bend in a bad spring. might just try swapping them out side to side and checking the bushings. good luck
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
lithoman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks all will check it out tomorrow
Old 05-19-2012, 06:08 PM   #5
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Any chance the weak side, (lower side) is the left? That is, does the drivers side set lower than the passenger side?
You can get adjustable shocks for your cart. You would need to measure them fully compressed and fully extended. Then contact the local car parts store or do your own research on line. But, since it probably is a weakened spring.............
I disagree that weak shocks are identified by leaks. Shocks, (standard ones anyway), are hydraulic cylinders with a rubber or fiber edged piston. The dampening effect comes from the piston compressing the hydraulic fluid. The pistons can and do wear the rubber or fiber edge without creating an external leak. However, fluid will escape past the piston, during compression, reducing the dampening that would otherwise have been created. The same amount of fluid is present, it's just not all being packed into one end of the piston tube.
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:31 PM   #6
lithoman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yes it is the driver side that is lower. I will get underneath the cart and check the springs out. I believe it is stock springs and i do have a rear seat.

I will post what i find tomorrow.

Thanks all
Old 05-20-2012, 01:50 PM   #7
lithoman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

OK did some measuring and the drivers side is 1.5" lower then the passenger side.
I measured from the ground to the top of the wheel well. The springs look close in bend.
not sure if i should order hd springs or shocks. whats your best guess... and if springs should i go with 3 Lief of 4? I will ride 85% street or smooth paths.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:49 PM   #8
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If you are going to carry passengers in a back seat, go with the HD springs. Also, if you have a spring specialty shop in your area, you may consider having the stock springs "re-arched".
Old 05-21-2012, 07:59 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by lithoman View Post
OK did some measuring and the drivers side is 1.5" lower then the passenger side.
Switch them so the driver's side is 1.5" higher, then it'll level out when you are on-board.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:10 AM   #10
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Switch them so the driver's side is 1.5" higher, then it'll level out when you are on-board

Now that's funny! :)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO