lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-21-2012, 11:04 AM   #1
Rampd
Not Yet Wild

Cool Fire from my 1204-015 Controller

My 1993 stock club car which normally runs great just made a pop and flames blew out from the controller. Turned off key and I disconnected battery. Let cool off. Re hooked up battery, turned key on in neutral. Placed in Forward..so far so good..nothing happened. When i stepped on the pedal, I got a pop and flames. Pulled the battery terminal off. Cooled off. This time it blew the end piece off the controller. I took a look at all connections and all were tight and good , looked at the "Pie shaped" unit and the copper looks bright and clean. The only thing that looked strange was the fuse like unit connecting two sides of the selenoid. It was blackish in color. Like a blown fuse. Nothing else looked hot, shriveled, or out of the ordinary. So my question is. What might have caused this? And If I replace the flaming controller, what other parts should I replace so I don't fry the next unit. Is there a troubleshooting protocol to run through so I don't end up with a flash bang experience. Also, any thoughts on Flight Systems Industrial Products rebuilds?
Rampd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-21-2012, 11:19 AM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: Fire from my 1204-015 Controller

it could have just been its time, in most cases when you buy an aftermarket controller they include a fuse and several spots where you can hook it up........you just pick the place that suits you.............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:18 PM   #3
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

An internal short in the controller is what caused it. The piece you're referring to on the solenoid is called a pre-charge resistor. It's designed to keep the capacitors in the controller charged up at all times. This helps decrease the initial shock of voltage to the controller when the solenoid clicks when you make the car go. The reason it fried is because the short in the controller created a draw, forcing more amperage to go through the resistor than it could handle, so it melted. Once the solenoid clicked, more power went to the controller and it went from a small short to a large one. That's why it blew smoke. Replace controller, pre-charge resistor and all burnt or charred wiring and you should be fine.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:49 PM   #4
Rampd
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the information. Got any thoughts on replacement of controller? Rebuild or New? Is one more prone to shorting out and causing a fire?
Rampd is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car