lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #1
craighd
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default running great, then nothing

This is my first cart, just bought yesterday 1988 EZGO.. Not sure where to start looking, but here is what happened. Was running just fine yesterday, stopped many times and would take right back off. Then after about the 6th stop and 30 min of running. It would only try to turn the motor over slowly and would not move. Then after about 6 attempts it would not even turn the motor at all. I am thinking the battery went dead, but have no idea yet of the charging system and if I just charge the battery then I am just going to get stranded again.. Idea's where to start please..
craighd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-23-2012, 02:59 PM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: running great, then nothing

Charge the battery then connect a the voltmeter to the battery, jack up the back end (or remove the drive belt) and start the engine. At about 1500 rpm the voltmeter should show 14.5 volts. Try this and let us know what happens.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:12 PM   #3
craighd
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Dave!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-25-2012, 07:53 AM   #4
craighd
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

OK, charged the battery to full charge. The tested 12.8v and then but a load of 325 amps. Volts showed slightly over 10. Then checked voltage to battery going down the road.. Nothing is charging, maintained 12.7 v.

Found a broke hose clamp that was holding the front mounting plate / housing of the starter / generator. I know this was rigged by the last owner. My question is, with the mounting plate crack, am I losing voltage from the generator and the hose clamp that was on holding in place was this needed for grounding? photo attached

Is my next step the regulator? It looks like the old points style? looking for direction on how to check the regulator?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg starter _ generator with crack mounting housing.JPG (231.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg regulator.JPG (264.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-25-2012, 05:13 PM   #5
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Here are the steps to check the charging circuit. Before you start, in image 1 above the green wire is the regulating signal wire. Make sure that this is connected at both the generator and the regulator. Now step through the following procedure and report back.

Fully Charge your battery and note the battery voltage

1 Check for loose, broken wiring.
2 Raise rear of cart and attach a volt meter between the regulator's red and black wires. (Or across the battery)
3 Start engine and run at mid speed, making note of the meter reading.
4 Reading should be between 14 to 16 volts.
5 If reading is above specs, check for a grounded green wire from the starter/gen.
6 If no rise in voltage, disconnect green wire from starter/generator ** and temporarily ground to frame. (It is important that you actually remove this wire from the generator. Shorting it when it is still connected may cause damage to the generator.
7 If voltage rises within specs, replace voltage regulator.
8 If the voltage does not rise then the generator is defective and the first step would be to check the brushes.

** It is important to place a thin wrench under the wire to prevent the stud turning and ripping the wire off the stud inside the generator
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:50 AM   #6
craighd
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: running great, then nothing.. FIXED

Regulator it was... Thanks for your help Dave
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO