lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-23-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
JakeMusser
Not Yet Wild

Default Ezgo brakes

Hey everyone,

I have an old electric Ezgo golfcart that ive been working on. The cart had brakes but dident acutally work. I had adjusted then soooo many diffrent ways and times that im tired that its still not working. When i adjust the brakes, and the brake pedal is pressed the cat slows down very slow. If i was to stop at a stop sign i would have to push my brake down 200 ft away from the sign to make sure i would stop at that spot.

I really need some help with this problem. Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks
JakeMusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-23-2012, 03:13 PM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo brakes

Download the Owner's, Service and Parts manuals from the stickies. They have a whole chapter on brakes.

If you've taken them apart and touched the shoes, they could have oil/grease on them. Us a solvent to clean them, then hit them with a fine grit sandpaper to remove any glaze. Check the shoes for wear and the star adjusters to see if they're functioning.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:22 PM   #3
jhnmflr
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Hi_Per...ce_Brakes.html
Take a look at these . They are in my plans !
jhnmflr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:43 PM   #4
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

These brakes look the same as car brakes but they do not adjust the same way. Once you have read the manual you will see that. You don't mention the year of the cart but I think it is probably a safe bet that the brakes have never been replaced. I think that would be a good starting point for you. I replaced all the shoes and all the springs and retainers on my 98. For me it was the only logical way to go. Just remember that not all of the parts are still available for all of the carts. The "adjuster stars" for example can be very hard to come by and they should not be used for manual adjustments.
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:44 PM   #5
JakeMusser
Not Yet Wild

I have an ok'd ezgo so the disc brakes are not the right models. I have the shoe brakes. I have cleaned all the brakes and still nothing. I really believe that it has something to do with the adjustments.
JakeMusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:58 PM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloe View Post
These brakes look the same as car brakes but they do not adjust the same way. Once you have read the manual you will see that. You don't mention the year of the cart but I think it is probably a safe bet that the brakes have never been replaced. I think that would be a good starting point for you. I replaced all the shoes and all the springs and retainers on my 98. For me it was the only logical way to go. Just remember that not all of the parts are still available for all of the carts. The "adjuster stars" for example can be very hard to come by and they should not be used for manual adjustments.
Shopezygo.com had the stars for my 1998 TXT.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:06 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Sometimes it is the cables that need replacing.

Pull the drums and have an assistant operate the brakes, are the shoes moving out freely?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:08 PM   #8
rlw
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Location: Southeast Ohio -- "The Toenails of the Foothills of Appalachia"

I posted a pretty detailed write up when I replaced the brake shoes on my '84 Marathon. I'm not sure if this will apply to your cart (you didn't say what year/model you had), but I hope it's some help...

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...tall-long.html

RLW
rlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO