lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-08-2013, 08:31 AM   #1
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default will 60 kill it?

Just out of curiosity, I would like to get some input from one of the resident electric experts.

I have a Curtis 400amp controller on my 48v series cart. After a bit of research, it seems that this controller has some components that can handle 60volts. Does anyone know whether it would be unreasonable to believe that I could run the cart on 60volts? I have a D377 motor currently running on 48v. I don't know whether or not I would even try it, but if it was safe, I might try adding another 8v battery to the group as an experiment. That would up it to 56vs. Is that totally ridiculous?
MDLNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-08-2013, 08:37 AM   #2
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Default Re: will 60 kill it?

. . . interesting . . . but remember, a system is only as good as it's weakest link . . every component that the pack voltage passes thru would have to able to handle the load . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:49 AM   #3
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegrmich View Post
. . . interesting . . . but remember, a system is only as good as it's weakest link . . every component that the pack voltage passes thru would have to able to handle the load . . .
Yes, I was also thinking along that line. That's why I was thinking that maybe someone else, with more experience than myself, might be able to contribute their thoughts on the idea. The idea may be old and possibly commented to death already. I didn't see any threads about that in my search. Maybe someone has already bombed at this idea and can relate so that I won't be foolish enough to try it.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:58 AM   #4
Offtwice
Member 23082

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLNB View Post
Just out of curiosity, I would like to get some input from one of the resident electric experts.

I have a Curtis 400amp controller on my 48v series cart. After a bit of research, it seems that this controller has some components that can handle 60volts. Does anyone know whether it would be unreasonable to believe that I could run the cart on 60volts? I have a D377 motor currently running on 48v. I don't know whether or not I would even try it, but if it was safe, I might try adding another 8v battery to the group as an experiment. That would up it to 56vs. Is that totally ridiculous?
Solenoid and motor are suspect to not being able to handle - what does you battery cable situation look like - how would you charge the pack - what about accessories do you have a reducer?
Offtwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #5
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offtwice View Post
Solenoid and motor are suspect to not being able to handle - what does you battery cable situation look like - how would you charge the pack - what about accessories do you have a reducer?
Just kicking the idea around a bit. If a 36 volt motor will handle 48 volts, I was thinking that perhaps a motor rated for 48 volts would handle 60 volts. Just guessing. Yes, charging the pack would be a factor, of course. Yes, I do have a voltage reducer. But, mine is of the type that reduces 16 volts to 12 volts (two 8 volt batteries). Actually, by adding another 8 volt battery to the pack, I would have a 56 volt pack.

This is no big deal, just kind of thinking out loud. I can see some of the problems with attempting to do something like this.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You can do this. keep the solenoid activation on a 48v circuit and Use a 72v rated controller.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #7
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Gracias
Old 03-09-2013, 01:16 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Da nada
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car