lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-10-2013, 01:09 PM   #1
7CLUB
Getting Wild
Club Car

Question Motor Cable post loose - problem?

Here we go again...

Just installed a new set of 2g cables on my Precedent and while installing the cables to the motor I noticed that one of the terminals rotates slightly in the motor. I know you MUST hold both wrenches on both of the locking nuts while loosening and tightening or you'll damage the terminal post internally. I have always done that. BUT, when loosening the old cable, I noticed the terminal post jiggles just a little internally. I can turn it slightly with my fingers and it seems to snug up but I don't want to put a wrench on it. It seems like it would have a bad connection like that to whatever it attaches to inside the motor. But I don't know if it attaches as a terminal post internally or if a wire is fixed to it that makes the post "jiggle" irrelevent.

So... the question is does that "jiggle" matter or is it a big problem?

I'm chomping at the bit for a new motor anyway after installing the 500amp Alltrax from Scottyb (with your help) but not really ready to drop the cash right now. Is this post "jiggle" bad or no big deal?

Thanks in advance.

7CLUB
7CLUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-10-2013, 08:33 PM   #2
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Re: Motor Cable post loose - problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CLUB View Post
Here we go again...

Just installed a new set of 2g cables on my Precedent and while installing the cables to the motor I noticed that one of the terminals rotates slightly in the motor. I know you MUST hold both wrenches on both of the locking nuts while loosening and tightening or you'll damage the terminal post internally. I have always done that. BUT, when loosening the old cable, I noticed the terminal post jiggles just a little internally. I can turn it slightly with my fingers and it seems to snug up but I don't want to put a wrench on it. It seems like it would have a bad connection like that to whatever it attaches to inside the motor. But I don't know if it attaches as a terminal post internally or if a wire is fixed to it that makes the post "jiggle" irrelevent.

So... the question is does that "jiggle" matter or is it a big problem?

I'm chomping at the bit for a new motor anyway after installing the 500amp Alltrax from Scottyb (with your help) but not really ready to drop the cash right now. Is this post "jiggle" bad or no big deal?

Thanks in advance.

7CLUB
Gosh, I wish I knew the answer to that...
If it works, I would just leave it alone, especially if you are eventually going to get a new motor down the road...
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #3
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

If you're ever gonna have a spot for massive heat buildup, that post is gonna be the place. There is a possible fix. Using a dremel and a HD cutting disc, cut a slot across the end of the terminal post. Now you can insert a screwdriver and secure the post while torqueing down on the bottom terminal nut. Should draw it up all tight without the danger of spinning the terminal and ruining the internal connection. Be very careful if you attempt this.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:08 PM   #4
7CLUB
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
If you're ever gonna have a spot for massive heat buildup, that post is gonna be the place. There is a possible fix. Using a dremel and a HD cutting disc, cut a slot across the end of the terminal post. Now you can insert a screwdriver and secure the post while torqueing down on the bottom terminal nut. Should draw it up all tight without the danger of spinning the terminal and ruining the internal connection. Be very careful if you attempt this.
Heat, yes possibly. But is a connectivity issue as far as loss of power? It seems silly to put 2g cables, etc. on the thing and have the post wiggling around. I just wonder if I'm losing anything through that connection.

I think I might try that idea you suggested. It would tighten it up against the casing.
Thanks for the tip. 20k posts? Looks like you might just know a thing or two.
7CLUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:42 AM   #5
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

If there is heat, there is a loss of power.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:53 AM   #6
wildbillw
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Why don't you take it to a motor shop and have it fixed? It shouldn't/isn't that expensive and you wouldn't have to worry about the heat.

wildbillw
wildbillw is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car