lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-24-2013, 12:21 AM   #1
littlejohn444
Not Yet Wild

Default Just bought first cart and would love any advice

Ok this may be lengthy but I will try to be quick. First post and I have joined after reading several topics here because I just bought a project cart that I want to fix up for my dad. This site looks like you guys/gals can help me with any and everything I may need. So here we go. BTW have never owned or bought a cart before. So feel free to treat me like a dummy.

First I was looking for something for hunting. It had to be electric and able to carry 4 passengers and also fold the seats to make a flat bed. A cart sort of just popped up in front of me that met all above. But there are problems. First even after getting a full charge the cart does not have full power. So I need to know what to check and do from this point. Also from reading what I have so far I think I want to at least upgrade to a 48 volt system would even love to go to a 72. So what all would I need to do this? The cart will be used mainly for hunting. The land we hunt isn't all that hilly but usually pretty muddy conditions. Also I want to add a winch, radio and heater to the cart. Are the things I need to do to handle the amp usage or whatever from these items? Also, I want to put doors or cover on it. I have seem the camo plastic cover with the zip doors but would really like to go with like hard plexiglass doors. Any ideas?

I think I might better stop here and get advice on this stuff first. Please feel free to tell me "Hey don't worry about this and that quite yet. You need to take care of this first"

Thank you in advance. I'm sure I will get great advice from what I have read here already.

OH BTW what I bought from what I know is a...

2004 TXT Standard EZ GO
littlejohn444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-24-2013, 12:43 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Just bought first cart and would love any advice

Welcome to bgw, determine which drive system you have with the chart here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ezgo-guide-#2.jpg (139.0 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:53 AM   #3
littlejohn444
Not Yet Wild

As far as I can tell it is a series.

Thank you btw.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:24 AM   #4
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I don't have a hunting buggy, but you probably want more endurance and torque than speed. Rear seat, 4 passengers, off road, maybe hauling a carcass. Mud means more aggressive tires for traction. If it were me, I wouldn't go for larger tires, as you'll only lose torque.

The main reason for higher voltage on a series motor is top end (speed). I'd forget about 72 volts. If you go 48 volts, you'd be better off trying to squeeze two more batteries, or eight 6 volt batteries. Others have added a seventh for 42 volts. For any of these, you'll need a new controller - larger amperage controller will give you more torque, a new charger, Heavy Duty (HD) FNR, HD solenoid, and all new cables.

ScottyB sells all of these at good prices and the best customer service. Look at Post #2 above for link.

When it comes to batteries, it's best for all of them to be the same age, so if you upgrade, plan on buying ALL new batteries.

When it comes to strategy, look at the age of your batteries, and measure the voltage of each battery and the whole pack. You may decide to live with them until they die, then upgrade.

Since you've only been a member since April, if I were you, I'd spend as much time as you can reading and searching the forum. Lots of good ideas, advice, and a few lessons learned.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:42 AM   #5
littlejohn444
Not Yet Wild

Ok makes sense. Ill stick with going to a 48. One problem I see immediately is I really only see space for one more battery. So would I be hurting the range much if I switched to 8 volt batteries? Which to be honest it would be used for a total if an hour or two each day and then plugged in for the night.

If adding accessories do you need anything extra as far as controller or such?
Old 04-24-2013, 09:12 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

It take the same amount of electrical energy (Watts) to move a cart from Point-A to Point-B regardless of the battery pack voltage, so a 48V battery pack made up of six 170AH 8V batteries will give you roughly the same run-time (range) as the stock 36V battery pack made up of six 225AH 6V batteries.

Here is a list of commonly available 8V batteries comparing run-time relative to 170AH 8V batteries.

Here is another list comparing the run-times of 48V battery packs made from either 6V or 8V batteries of varying Amp-Hour ratings.

For your purpose, as you've described it, six 8V batteries will most likely meet your needs, if you decide to go to 48V, which would be optional.
In any case, buy the largest AH ratted batteries you can afford for the longest run-time and greatest battery lifespan.

--------
For accessories, either use a separate 12V battery or a Voltage reducer to power them.
Tapping the main battery pack at 12v to power accessories imbalances the load on the pack and the whole pack dies prematurely.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8 Volt Battery AH comparisons.JPG (79.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 48V kWh Comparisons.JPG (105.4 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:18 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I think the 8v weigh about 3-5 pounds less than the 6v generally speaking your rig will be 150 pounds lighter with 6/8v batts. This will help performance based on the power to weight ratio. Plus it is easier to install and maintain if all the batts are under the seat.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:38 AM   #8
littlejohn444
Not Yet Wild

Ok so what would be my most economical way to buy six 8 volt batteries? Also I guess I could just buy those first and then get the controller.

As far as controllers. Which one do I need. I want it to be right but also don't want to buy a 600 when a 400 or whatever is plenty. Now if that high dollar monster or whatever that I saw on Johnny's site for like 649 will give me superb performance then so be it. Once I convert to 48 I don't see me ever really going up from there.

Also what about motor? Do I maybe need to upgrade that at all?

Again thanks for the responses.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:46 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn444 View Post
Ok so what would be my most economical way to buy six 8 volt batteries? Also I guess I could just buy those first and then get the controller.

As far as controllers. Which one do I need. I want it to be right but also don't want to buy a 600 when a 400 or whatever is plenty. Now if that high dollar monster or whatever that I saw on Johnny's site for like 649 will give me superb performance then so be it. Once I convert to 48 I don't see me ever really going up from there.

Also what about motor? Do I maybe need to upgrade that at all?

Again thanks for the responses.

A 4 passenger 04 EZ series cart will benefit from 48v power. You can run the stock 36v motor on 48v and get about 33% motor torque and speed. BUT you will need to upgrade the controller, solenoid, cables, & F&R switch to handle it. Generally 400 amps is good for campground or neighborhood use. If you have hills, 4 people on the cart, off road use, plans for aftermarket motor, etc. 500 amps is a better fit. Good luck with the cart
Old 04-24-2013, 10:07 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

T-875 (8V 170AH) weigh 63 lbs each, so a 48V pack made from six of them weighs 378 Lbs.
T-105 (6V 225AH) weigh 62 lbs each, so a 48V pack made from eight of them weighs 496 Lbs.
So using six T-875's for 48V is 118 lbs lighter than using eight T-105's for 48V.

The additional weight will reduce performance by a factor somewhat akin to having a petite passenger on-board all the time, but you and that passenger can travel 1/3 further before recharging the batteries.

Like most things about golf carts, it is a balancing act and a compromise must be reached that best meets your specific needs, wants and desires.

------
Added:

FWIW: I have the #808B Kit rather than the #909. The "B" suffix means it is a 400A controller with a Super-Duty solenoid instead of a Heavy-Duty solenoid.
I'm running stock height tires and don't need as many amps people running tall tires and/or high-speed differential gears.

------
More added:

You'll also have to get a battery charger to match battery pack voltage, This is what I use: www.cartsunlimited.net/48v_Battery_Charger.html

Last edited by JohnnieB; 04-24-2013 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: added comments
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO