lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-24-2013, 10:34 PM   #11
littlejohn444
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Just bought first cart and would love any advice

ScottyB great website and all. I have done a little reading. I think the one that would fit me the most would be Pkg #485. Duh huh? I mean you even label it "hunting buggie". So I assume this is what you think I should go with? I mean the speed isn't important it is the power. My dad won't be going very fast. Although I would but it is really for him in the end. But I definitely want him to go up any hill he may want to. I don't want it to bog down in the mud. I want it to be able to sling a little mud if need be. Without 4 wheel drive it doesn't mean he won't have to use that winch I put on it now and then but still.

So the total cost is $570 and that is for the controller and solenoid, correct? You are recommending, if I'm reading right, to also upgrade the F&R switch? Forgive me for being dumb but when I look at that switch it just simply looks like a mechanical lever going to the motor or whatever. Why do I need to change that? How does that help? I believe you have the F&R switch for $59, correct?

So after buying the package and switch all I would need for the conversion then would be the batteries? Which btw any certain type or kind of batteries I need to be looking for?
littlejohn444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-25-2013, 04:05 AM   #12
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

A winch complicates things a bit. From what I've heard in the past, they pull too many amps to use a voltage reducer. If you end up using a separate battery for accessories, it will be fine. If not, you can use two buggy batteries - if they are 6 volts - to power OCCASIONAL winch usage. What would be wrong with a come-a-long? I have one that has 20 feet of cable, so a rope and it would get me out of most any mess.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:01 AM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn444 View Post
1. ................ You are recommending, if I'm reading right, to also upgrade the F&R switch? Forgive me for being dumb but when I look at that switch it just simply looks like a mechanical lever going to the motor or whatever. Why do I need to change that? How does that help?

2. ................ Which btw any certain type or kind of batteries I need to be looking for?
1. The F/R switch changes the direction of current flow through the stator windings, changing the direction the motor rotates, so the cart can move forwards or backwards. In a series wound motor, the same current flowing through the stator also flows through the armature and every other component in the motor drive circuit, so they all have to have at least the same current carrying capability. Otherwise, things get hot and melt or burn.

2. Golf carts use deep-cycle batteries. Car batteries (SLI type) and Marine batteries are designed for cars and for boats respectfully and are not suitable for use in golf carts.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:35 AM   #14
littlejohn444
Not Yet Wild

Yurtle for me a come along would be fine. But the whole reason I'm willing to put this kind of time and money into this thing is for my dad. He loves to hunt but won't drive his four wheeler close to his stands because he swears deer run off from the sound of the motor. So he usually ends up walking a long ways. I know he would do a little less walking or go places that he can't walk if he had an electric cart. So him setting up and pulling on a come along would be kind of defeating the purpose of making hunting more accessible and easier on his body. He isn't old and crippled but he is turning 64 in August (which is when I hope to unveil the cart) and he had a stroke last year. While he has recovered very nicely it still left him a little weak.

So I think I will just add a 12 volt battery for accessories and put a cheap on board charger for that.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:17 AM   #15
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The F&R is sort of the Achilles heel of the series golf cart. All the amperage to the motor goes through it. It has rotating contacts. Any resistance causes heat. Heat causes the switch to fail. Get a new complete F&R , get the best one you can find, or Dad will be walking at some point. My F&R is 60% heavier than any other heavy duty switch I see. Not only can it handle the amps but it dissipates the heat better too. I hope this helps.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:34 AM   #16
littlejohn444
Not Yet Wild

So Scotty the hunting buggie pckg along with the switch would be right up my alley, correct?

Completely agree with you would rather buy it together like that so I know it's all right
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO