lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-28-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
RLTexas
Not Yet Wild

Default Charging issue 2004 Electric TXT

2004 TXT with new batteries, wires, charging receptacle. Working fine until it just stopped this weekend. No lights, although I did get the click when moving gear lever. Voltage meter reads 36.2v so obviously in need of a charge, but I figured the cart would gradually move slower before just stopping completely. Plugged in charger and after a couple of hours checked and it is working again. Will fully charge, but wondering if this is normal. Thanks!
RLTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-29-2013, 08:54 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Charging issue 2004 Electric TXT

It is not normal for a cart to suddenly stop working.

You motioned something about "No Lights" and the stock controllers used in PDS and series TXT carts don't have lights, so is the an aftermarket controller installed.

36.2V is less than 50% SoC, so you might want to review your battery charging protocol.
Batteries ought to be charged after each use and should never be discharged below 50%.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:30 AM   #3
RLTexas
Not Yet Wild

Lights are aftermarket, wired through a toggle switch. Yes, kiddos were driving and did not realize batteries were so low. I would think the cart would still move at that level, wondering what might cause it to just stop.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:06 AM   #4
Knothead
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLTexas View Post
Lights are aftermarket, wired through a toggle switch. Yes, kiddos were driving and did not realize batteries were so low. I would think the cart would still move at that level, wondering what might cause it to just stop.
If you're lucky & DO have an aftermarket controller, such as an Alltrax, it should have a programmable low-voltage cutoff which could be what's making it quit running at that low voltage.
Knothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #5
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLTexas View Post
A kid will drive it until it doesn't move! Yes, the batteries will get so low that it will just stop. This can do all sorts of damage! Try to educate them to not drive it until it dies. You may have battery issues, but I would give it a full charge before any condemnation of the batteries. You will probably find this link very useful. It is to " ScottyB's " website. Read everything in the menu that has " battery " in it. http://www.cartsunlimited.net/
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:01 PM   #6
RLTexas
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the help guys! My reference was driving carts on the course in the afternoon where they gradually slow down until they finally stop. Sounds like it is a good thing to have a low voltage shut off to save the batteries. I'll keep an eye on it and see how it does. Hopefully batteries were not stressed too bad.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:53 PM   #7
RLTexas
Not Yet Wild

Well, cart was fully charged and made it a few blocks then died. Hooked back up to charger and almost fully charged. Need to do some serious diagnostics. Guess I will check out the stickys.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:15 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Are the tires taller than stock? (18" is stock. Taller tires will increase amp draw and may be putting controller into thermal shutdown)

What battery charger do you have?

What are the battery pack voltage and the individual battery voltages when they are "Fully" charged?

What are the battery pack voltage and the individual battery voltages when the cart stops running?
Old 06-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #9
RLTexas
Not Yet Wild

Stock tires, Powerwise charger _2004, 42+ v fully charged, 38+ stools. Kids also drove it through some high water.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:16 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Water and electricity don't play well together.

Check the ITS box under the floor.
If damp inside, strange things can happen.

Same with a damp controller.

When cart misbehaves, can you hear the solenoid click when pedal is pushed?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO