lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #11
pete959
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Charging issue 2004 Electric TXT

check the voltage in batts where the lights r hooked up to sounds like to me they left the lights on and killed the 2 batts so u can charge cart up but then those 2 batts die quicker the the rest or u have a noid problem but that is usually a quick fix like lift off pedal and press down again fix
pete959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-20-2013, 03:04 PM   #12
RLTexas
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to work on it this weekend and see what I find. I'm sure I'll be reporting back on here next week!
RLTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:59 PM   #13
RLTexas
Not Yet Wild

Checked wiring, etc., looks ok, plugged in charger, started at 10.5 amps, gradually went to zero, charger shut off, voltage meter reads only 37.8v. Batteries are only a few months old, fluid level was fine. Cart does operate, but did not drive it around. Any thoughts?
Old 06-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Your charger should be jumping into the 18A to 20A range when it first comes on.
Clean all the connections and contacts in the charging loop.

If that doesn't up the amps into the normal range, you may have a bad diode or bad capacitor or bad transformer.
Fortunately, your charger is 100% repairable.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:57 AM   #15
RLTexas
Not Yet Wild

Charger receptacle and all battery cables are new and radsox in charger plug, too. Sounds like I need to troubleshoot the charger.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:36 PM   #16
RLTexas
Not Yet Wild

OK, had the charger checked out by one of the cart service shops and it is fine. Checked each battery and all are at 6.1 or 6.2v, too low but the charger is turning off as if fully charged. I have a new charger receptacle. Wondering what might be causing issue - kids did drive cart through high water just before issue started. Any ideas? Thanks!
Old 07-05-2013, 12:44 PM   #17
RLTexas
Not Yet Wild

Trying charger again, only jumped to 12-14 amps, we'll see how long it stays on this time but quickly went down to 5 amps. Voltage meter went to 43.6v while charging.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:47 PM   #18
RLTexas
Not Yet Wild

Ok, so cart fully charged to 44.7v +/- after 5 hours or so, drove it about 500 yards, went swimming, then drove back 500 yds. Cart sat for about 3 hours in between, went out and voltage down to 37.x. plugged charger back in, jumped to ,15+ amps, then back to 10-12, been charging for several hours. Batteries are new (6mos) new cables, sounds like something is draining batteries. Any ideas? Many thanks!
Old 07-06-2013, 07:51 AM   #19
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

New batteries doesn't necessarily mean good batteries.

An on-charge voltage of 44.7V is in the right ballpark for a 36V pack.
Let the batteries set about 12 hours after charging and measure the "At-Rest" voltage.
It should be 38.2V, or close to it. New batteries will measure a little higher. 38.3V or 38.4V is typical.
Each battery should measure 6.37V and all six should be within 0.1V of the others.

IF you don't get those voltages, something is wrong with the battery pack.

-----------
After measuring the at-rest voltages, take the cart for a spin. The longer the better.
Then let the batteries rest for about half an hour and measure the at-rest voltages again.
The attached cahert will tell you what the SoC is after use.
They should still be within 0.1V of each other, whatever the pack voltage now is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JohnnieB's SoC Chart.JPG (66.2 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #20
RLTexas
Not Yet Wild

Originally I was getting a full charge, however, did an inspection and one of the neg terminals on one battery looks slightly melted. A couple other connections dontvlook very good either. New batteries and cables, so not sure if it is a charger issue or something else.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO