lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
pcarenthuz
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Typical 48v Charging Profile?

During a charging cycle, what is a typical max voltage one should see?

I've got a Delta-q charger against 8 x 6 Crown 260s and am seeing voltages during the various charging stages higher than I would think would be normal --as high as 64vdc.

I'm just getting my car sorted out and back together and thought I had a problem but it was the Alltrax going into over voltage protection mode which it does at 62vdc.

Pat Arnold
pcarenthuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-14-2013, 08:40 PM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: Typical 48v Charging Profile?

A 48 volt pack can get as high as 67 volts, how is the controller seeing over 62 volts?? are you trying to run the cart with the charger on/while charging ??
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:27 AM   #3
pcarenthuz
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Now that I think about it, it wasn't plugged in but I did attempt to run it within 30 seconds or so of unplugging it. I guess the voltage at that point was still >62??

Pat
pcarenthuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:34 AM   #4
Great white north
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thought I would chime in , I too have the CR260 Crowns , with Scotty's DPI charger but my issue is I typically have a voltage no higher then 59-60 volts when charging at end of charge cycle , at rest I do have 51.2 volts to 52 volts
Which is 100% SOC , is that about right or should it that voltage be higher when charging ? Also I have done oh at least 15-18 cycles on batts , have not had to add any water is this normal ?, breaking batts in
Typical run of 10 miles batt voltage after rest is 49.6 volts
Great white north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:18 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcarenthuz View Post
Now that I think about it, it wasn't plugged in but I did attempt to run it within 30 seconds or so of unplugging it. I guess the voltage at that point was still >62??

Pat
Which Delta-Q charger is being used and what charging algorithm (profile) is it set to?

I'm not all that familiar with Delta-Q chargers, but an on-charge voltage of 64V is within the Crown-260 charge profile, so the question is, was the charger actually charging the battery when you unplugged it?

Normally, chargers stop charging when the endpoint criteria is reached and either go into a float charge mode or a battery maintenance mode, or just stay in an non-charging mode until a new charge cycle is initiated. Whatever the case, when the regular charge cycle terminates, the pack voltage will immediately start decreasing from the maximum on-charge voltage that was reached, so if your pack was still above the 62V over voltage point the controller is set to, either the charge cycle had not been given enough time to completed, or the charger isn't shutting off when it should.

I suspect you unplugged the charger while it was still charging the battery, or very shortly after it completed the charge cycle, but I'd still make sure the charge complete LED is coming on.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:44 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great white north View Post
Thought I would chime in , I too have the CR260 Crowns , with Scotty's DPI charger but my issue is I typically have a voltage no higher then 59-60 volts when charging at end of charge cycle , at rest I do have 51.2 volts to 52 volts
Which is 100% SOC , is that about right or should it that voltage be higher when charging ? Also I have done oh at least 15-18 cycles on batts , have not had to add any water is this normal ?, breaking batts in
Typical run of 10 miles batt voltage after rest is 49.6 volts
What Mode is the DPI set to?
They typically arrive on your doorstep set to Mode-2 (Trojan Batteries) and it should be in Mode-3 or Mode-1 for Crown batteries. (Probably Mode-1 for the CR-260 - that has the highest absorption phase voltage)

Give Crown and/or DPI a call to find out for sure.

-----------
What controller, motor and tire height are you running?
49.6V is 72% SoC, so you used 72.8AH is just 10 miles.
That means your max range is only about 18 miles.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:47 PM   #7
Great white north
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Hi Johnny , they are set to mode 2 , I'm running 22 inch tires and Alltrax 400 amp controller (PDS cart )
ill give DPI and Crown a call
Thanks
Old 07-15-2013, 10:28 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Hi Johnny , they are set to mode 2 ill give DPI and Crown a call
Thanks
Let us know what they say.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:36 PM   #9
Great white north
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Johnny what would be a approximate max. Range on those Crowns on properly charged batts ? , just curious , thanks
again have PDS cart , 22 inch tires , 400 amp Alltrax
Old 07-15-2013, 11:52 PM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Johnny what would be a approximate max. Range on those Crowns on properly charged batts ? , just curious , thanks
again have PDS cart , 22 inch tires , 400 amp Alltrax
Max range depends on the storage capacity (Amp-Hours) of the battery pack and how many AH are used to move the cart a mile.

You mentioned the At-Rest voltage for your pack is 51.8V-52V, so I called that 100% SoC, or about 260AH.
Then you mentioned the At-rest voltage after a 10 Mile run was 49.6V. which is 72% SoC or 187.2AH remaining in pack.
260AH - 187.2AH = 72.8AH to go 10 miles, 7.28AH per mile.
Using 50% SoC as the maximum discharge, you have 130AH available from a 260AH battery pack.
130AH available / 7.28AH per mile = max range of 17.9 miles.

---------
I'm just starting to scratch the surface in this area of testing, but that seems to be mighty high AH usage.
I use about 3.72AH per mile with a DCX400 controller, 18.3" tires and 36V pack that is going on 4 years old.

You have 22", which take more amps to turn, but moves the cart further each time they rotate, so that should offset the higher amps a little.
Also, you have a 48V system, which should use 1/3 fewer AH than a 36V system.

Of course, those calculations are only as accurate as the numbers provided, so they could be way off if the numbers given were approximations.

----------
To get a better set of numbers.
Drive the cart a mile or two to burn off the surface charge and let the pack rest for half an hour before measuring the voltage.
If the At-Rest voltage is still above the charts (50.9V is top of chart) drive it some more and let it rest another half hour.
Once the At-Rest voltage is 50.9V or a little less, jot down what it is. (The start point can be less than 100% SoC, but should be greater than 95%, so try to start with an At-rest voltage someplace between 50.70V and 50.93V.)

Drive the cart over typical terrain the way you typically operate the cart, for 10 to 15 miles using a GPS or other means to accurately measure the distance traveled to the closest 1/10 mile.

Let batteries rest for half an hour and record voltage.

That gives us a starting At-Rest voltage and an ending At-Rest voltage to calculate the AH used and the distance traveled to calculate the AH used per mile. From that Max range can be estimated.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO