lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-21-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
bricks
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default OBC problems

Well, after three or four bruises and a couple of cuts, I got the OBC replaced on my 96 Club Car DS. Plugged in charger and it started charging like it should. The charger kicked off a few minutes ago after charging for about 4 and a 1/4 hours. I took a pack voltage reading and only got 49.8 volts. Cart runs, and I backed it up and pulled forward a couple of times and it had plenty of power. I plugged the charger back in and it shot up to 15A, then dropped back to 5A after about 20 seconds, and is still charging.

Sounds like the OBC fixed the charging problem, but it is looking like I am going to need to replace the batteries. Was hoping to get another year at least since they are only 3.5 years old, but it sat for about 2 months without being moved or charged.

Guess I will check pack voltage in the morning then take it to the course and see if I can get 18 holes out of it. Wasn't really wanting to spend money right now for batteries, but if that is what it takes, guess I will have to turn loose of some money and go ahead and replace them.

Any one know of a dealer in the DFW area that sells Crown batteries? May give them a try this time instead of Trojan batteries.
bricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-21-2013, 09:19 PM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: OBC problems

Have you load tested each battery?, maybe you have 1 bad battery
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:27 PM   #3
rib33024

Found this in another thread about this problem.

if you hooked everything back up as it was, and it charged the batteries,. Why did you put in a new OBC, sounds like it was working fine before you put the new OBC in, sounds like you have a battery problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricks View Post
Did a reset of OBC. Charger still did not come on. Hooked jumper to grey wire agin and charger came on. Left charger hooked up for 4 1/2 hours and went back to cart barn. Hooked everything back up normal and the cart ran good! Battery pack was 51.9v after this charge. Thought I would hook charger up to see what would happen, and it came on and started charging batteries.

I left the charger plugged in, and will get a pack reading when I go to the course tomorrow. I still think the OBC is the culprit because the dash light was coming on while it was charging.

Will post pack voltage tomorrow when I get home from course.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #4
bricks
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
Found this in another thread about this problem.

if you hooked everything back up as it was, and it charged the batteries,. Why did you put in a new OBC, sounds like it was working fine before you put the new OBC in, sounds like you have a battery problem
I did a test of the OBC, and by bypassing it the cart charged. If it was hooked up, it would not charge, hence the replacement.

I feel like the batteries will need replacing, and will probably bite the bullet and turn loose of some coins and replace them, then the cart will be in great shape for years to come.
bricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:49 PM   #5
rib33024

load test the batteries and see what you have, and in the mean time charge them, and charge them maybe they will come back to life, but you need to load test them to know what your working with
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car