lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #1
kojo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 36v to 48v test

Don't know if anyone's ever tried this (probably have) but, is it possible to hook up 48v to a stock 36v system, like wiring an aux. battery 12v in w/ the 6 6v batteries. I know it can't handle it, something or some things will go south but, if you weren't going on a road, but only about 40 ft. on your driveway. I'd like to see what the power difference would be, but mainly my wife, so she'd be totally on board with a total 48v. conversion. Not that she's against it now but you know how some female specimens can be. (why do you have to do it now: is it really gonna be that much difference: are you sure it's not gonna hurt anything) Thanks for any replies guys.
kojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-28-2013, 07:19 AM   #2
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 36v to 48v test

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/extre...ler-boost.html
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:29 PM   #3
kojo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Sportcoupe thanks for the reply man, so can I do that to a PDS cart. Do I have to bypass anything to give it a short test shot. Thanks again for the advice.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:36 PM   #4
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have not done the boost myself so I'll let someone else answer. I have converted many a cart from 36v to 48v and even 72v full time. It's very much worth the money if you can swing it.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:42 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojo View Post
Sportcoupe thanks for the reply man, so can I do that to a PDS cart. Do I have to bypass anything to give it a short test shot. Thanks again for the advice.
No. The boost setup shown in the link given, only works for series wound motors and a PDS cart uses a sepex (Separately Excited) motor.

Just replacing the stock PDS controller (300A) with an Alltrax DCX400 controller (400A) will up the torque by about 1/3 and the speed will go up to about 24 MPH on stock height tires (18") at 36V.

If the pack voltage is upped to 42V with that setup, the speed goes up to 28MPH and there torque increases another 1/6.

I don't know what it goes to with 48V because I stopped at 42V, but both speed and torque will increase even more.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:34 AM   #6
e-z-go1988
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Just add the additional voltage after the speed controller through a high current contactor. I added another contactor to allow switching to either 12v boost or 24 volt boost. Mine are both series motors (one resistor and on electronic controller) but if added after the speed controller I can't see why it wouldn't work for any cart. Enter JohnnieB, ScottyB here.
You will not be unhappy with the additional boost!
Dennis
e-z-go1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:41 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-z-go1988 View Post
..............but if added after the speed controller I can't see why it wouldn't work for any cart. Enter JohnnieB, ScottyB here.
A PDS, DCS or other sepex controller is actually two controllers in the same box. One feeds the Armature windings and the other feeds the Field windings. The throttle controls the Armature current and the Field controller tracks the Armature current, but is also controlled by Field mapping to make the motor generate more torque or more RPMs as required.

The motor's torque curve is based on the Armature current / Field current ratio (Respective strength of the magnetic fields they produce actually) and by dynamically adjusting that ratio, a single sepex motor has both enhanced low end torque and enhanced high end torque, which allows it to reach higher RPM. A series motor is either one or the other (High Torque or High Speed) based on the number of turns wound into the armature and field windings during manufacturer.

Connecting the boost circuit as drawn, only bypasses the Armature controller, so armature current as seen by the Field Controller is Zero.
I don't know how the Field controller is going to react to that abnormal condition, but bad things could happen and controller and motors are mighty expensive.

BTW: If you bypasses both the Armature and Field controllers, you would most likely burn out the field windings, but if you didn't, you'd have a high torque motor, so the speed may actually decrease.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 03:50 PM   #8
kojo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Great explanation JohnnieB., I'll just go to 42v or 48v and do it the correct way. Thanks alot for the information and knowledge.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO