lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-30-2013, 06:30 PM   #1
KnuckleheadTexas
Not Yet Wild

Default New Batts but still sub par power

Hello all, I've been a lurker on the site for a while but my first post. What a great source you all are, it has been extremely helpful.

I recently inherited a lifted EZGO TXT. Looks like an early 2000's. 36v system, pretty much stock. Below is a pic of the plate.

I have had a lack of power from the get go. The cart lives at my country place and is used for running around on weekends. I did everything I know on the batts (they sat for about 1.5 years before I got it), trickle charged them all individually up to full charge, added water after, checked for dead cells, cleaned all terminals, etc. They hold right at 6.6v, buy I was constantly stalling on the slightest hill or when venturing more than a few hundred yards.

I finally broke down and bought a new bank of T-105's last week. Installed them, cleaned all cables, charged them up overnight (all right at 6.6), checked water (no add) and off I went. It was better on the range, but still had trouble with the hills (it made it though). I have the Batts on the 36v maintainer now.

Bottom line is that it is not performing anywhere like it should (I have almost the same cart not lifted with 3 year old Batts that does just fine).

Any suggestions? Below are some pics of the motor and set up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 2.jpg (192.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg photo 3.jpg (153.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg photo 5.jpg (101.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg photo 6.jpg (183.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg photo 8.jpg (191.0 KB, 0 views)
KnuckleheadTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-30-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
kellybell
So wild it hurts!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: New Batts but still sub par power

Moderate hill chip?
kellybell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:46 PM   #3
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

His pictures show a f&r switch under seat so it is a series cart.

For a slow series cart I always look at the f&r, it's usually the culprit if all high current cables are good and solid.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
KnuckleheadTexas
Not Yet Wild

Smile Re: New Batts but still sub par power

yessir, it is a Series.

Here is another pic. Don't be shy on detail, I am just getting into to this.

I was thinking of new cables anyway, will that make a diff?

also maybe a new controller?

Thanks for the resposes!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 7.jpg (189.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-30-2013, 08:06 PM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

will the new cables help? maybe......

but what is most likely the issue is the fact that in your first post, you state this cart is lifted and is stock other than that. if it is lifted, what size tires do you have on it?? as with larger tires, and a stock cart other than that, you are taxing the drive system, and are loosing some of the torque needed/wanted for the hills by having the larger tires on it.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:01 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

According to the serial number, you have a 1999 TXT Series drive cart.
Other than being lifted (which typically means oversized tires), it is stock.

The motor runs and the batteries are new, so everything between the two needs to be upgraded to run with tires taller than 18".
Unless it has been serviced recently, the motor may need brushes and bearings replaced, and it is unclear if the new batteries have been or are being charged properly. What is the pack voltage and individual battery voltages after they sit without being charged or discharged for about 12 Hours?

The clip leads from the battery maintainer hides the stacking order on the main positive and negative terminals, but the stacking order on the terminal is tapped for 12V is wrong. The cable that carries the highest current, goes on the bottom so it has the most intimate contact with the battery terminal.

The high current cables should be a minimum of 4Ga, should have soldered on lugs and an air tight seal between lug and cable.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:36 AM   #7
whizzo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

One other issue ( probably not the only one) if the batteries are new. you may not have run them thru enough cycles to " wake them up".

Trojan specifically state that this is an issue & i have experienced this many time with various batteries of various sizes.

cheers
whizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:35 PM   #8
KnuckleheadTexas
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys for the feedback! I am pretty new at all this so I appreciate the info.

JohnnieB you are correct on the stacking order on the mains, I put them back as they were when I canged the Batts and the cables were definitely on top. I will change that.

I am going out this week end and I will update with bank and individual Batt numbers after off the maintainer for 12 hours and no use.

I also ordered a new set of 2AWG cables, soldered and heat shrinked.

JB when you say upgrade everything, is that something you recommend all at once or is doing the F/R switch first and then other upgrades later?

Agaim, I really appreciate the feedback
Old 12-31-2013, 06:19 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If you can fit it into your budget, buy everything now, but install the new stuff one step at a time and make sure it runs between steps.

You've got new batteries and you've got new cables on the way (all 13 of them I hope).

That will be two steps done when the cables are installed and the cart running.

The next step is the F/R assembly. This is one of the best available:http://www.cartsunlimited.net/F_R_Switch_Upgrades.html

The controller and solenoid should be replaced as a pair.

Down the road, you may want to upgrade the motor.

The two steps already taken (Batteries and Cables) are more or less universal steps, so you essentially have a blank canvas to work with.
Figure out what you want the cart to do and build towards that goal.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO