lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-11-2014, 12:28 PM   #1
ddeblance
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Convertible top ideas??

I'm looking for ideas for a quick release top so I can easily remove it and ways to remove at least the rear uprights. I like to drive around with some sun, but the wife likes the shade. So I need an easy way to remove and reattach the roof.
The front uprights are good to leave as I have a windshield and a rear view mirror.
Thoughts? Ideas??
ddeblance is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-11-2014, 02:19 PM   #2
eflyguy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Convertible top ideas??

eBay:

.. although you'd probably want the ones with plates or wires that can be screwed or riveted to the frame.

As for the rear supports, replace the bolts with either wing-nuts, or perhaps even a few locking pins?
eflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:26 PM   #3
eflyguy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Just thought of another option - if you were willing to cut the rear supports just below the top of the seat-back, you could find a piece of square tube that *just* fits inside, JB-weld it into the remaining top pieces, put the roof on and drill thru the whole thing, and secure with locking pins. That would be VERY easy to remove..
eflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:47 PM   #4
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Try your local upholstery shop. Remove the plastic top, fabricate and bolt a bar across the two rear supports, drape and snap or tie the material in place.
Instant convertible!
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:53 PM   #5
RobCons
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Copy a Bimini top for a boat. Might be able to find an old frame to cut down and then customize your fabric.
RobCons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:54 PM   #6
tculpepper
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

My thoughts too efly. Make a sleeve and use pins.
tculpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:10 AM   #7
egb629
Not Yet Wild

I looked for a convertible top for ezgo marathon, $500+-, got a little creative and went to ebay looked & bought a bimini fold down for a flat bottom, narrowed with polytec heavy wall shrinkk tubing(when pipe for top cut heat strunk tubing VERY rigid) then lowered upright tubes to height. It now covers the driver seat and rear seat all for:
Bimini top $120, hvy wal tubing $12, new SS bimini 2 7/16 hgt mounting bracket.
Now have convertible thinking of having sunbrella top made.

1990 EZGO Marathon Build
Painted tintable bed liner to match the 2014 rubicon jeep pearl bronze also complete bedliner top to bottom....frame, underside etc
Plum quick oem motor rebuilt % juiced
4" jakes lift kit
CartUnlimited reverse contacts
600 amp controller
hvy duty solenoid
48v upgrade
complete rewire
converter 48v to 12v
Frt/RR lights and brake light
12" LED light bar
Foldable rear seat
2ga batt wires
larger tires and wheels 2" rear spacers with HD spring frt & Rear and shocks
runs around 32 mph & pops wheelies

Lots of fun, will try to add pics

2nd build, 1st 1986 ezgo marathon gas for mother in law, just good clean up and LSU purple tintable bedliner as well, and rear cargo bed she uses it to pickk leaves, limbs, etc in 2 acre yard
egb629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:48 AM   #8
ddeblance
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Some great ideas. Thanks everyone!

EGB629, please post some pics of your work.

I think I'm going to go with a hood pin type setup for the front of the top that attaches to the front uprights.

For the back I'll need to think on it. I don't want to end up with something that rattles right behind my head. But I think cutting the square tubing just below the back rests, the attaching a smaller diameter sq tube snug inside, I should be able to create something that I can run a pin through.
ddeblance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:04 PM   #9
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

egb629, , lets see some pics! Very interesting in stealing... *borrowing* your idea...
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:36 PM   #10
kellybell
So wild it hurts!

E-Z-GO

I agree with the idea of cutting the top and installing hard tubes that are maybe an 1/8 or 1/16 of an inch so smaller in diameter into the newly cut top supports. Then, drilling holes thru the supports and the newly installed tubes, use a pin as above to hold them in. Here are some of my thoughts:

Make sure the smaller diameter tubes are long enuf, or the large diameter tubes may bend around them. a couple of feet at least.

Using a fine file or hi speed disk, grind the burs off all the tubes. Make sure the file or disk is not too coarse, as it would scratch the outside of the support.

Pay attention to where you drill the holes. They should all look the same, and they should be easily accessible from the same place. Locating the holes is the hardest part, if you think about it. Misplace a hole, and you have to start from scratch. Misplace a hole in the support, and you are pretty f___ed. Think before you drill.

You may want to practice on some aluminum stock. Post pictures!

Finally, make it so the top part removes, and takes the inner tube with it, so it looks cleaner with the top off.

When you buy the pins for the tube, get heavily plated ones

Good luck!
kellybell is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO