lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-15-2014, 12:39 AM   #1
RoadFlyer
Not Yet Wild

Unhappy 2001 Ezgo TXT electrical problems

I just was given a 2001 TXT Ezgo cart. Have been driving it just fine for a couple of weeks. Took it out the other day and started fine. I stopped for a moment...got back in and took off. All of a sudden it just stopped like someone turned it off. No clicking or any kind of sound or movement. I checked the battery water levels and 4 of the 6 batteries were bone dry. My bad I know. Should have checked the water levels. I was told the batteries were pretty new.
I've now filled the batteries with distilled water and used a auto battery charger to put a charge on all the batteries separately. The auto charger indicates the batteries are charged. I then connected the cart charger and that indicates a very low charging rate...around 2 to 5 on the meter. I know the cart charger is an automatic one and needs a certain voltage before it will kick on.
I've tried to run the cart a couple of times. I turn the key on and get a red LED light. Move the button to the reverse and get that awful beeper, but all I get is clicking of the solenoid and it like the cart shutters like it wants to go but just moves an inch or so.
Could this be anything other than the batteries? Maybe the controller or a burnt out motor?
RoadFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-15-2014, 06:11 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2001 Ezgo TXT electrical problems

Welcome to BGW!

Tell us more about the cart, what type drive system, how tall are the tires, is it a stock or aftermarket controller, does it have a rear seat?

You said you pushed a button to put it in reverse, so it is probably a PDS (sepex drive)
Does it have a Run/Tow switch?

You also said a Red LED came on, where is the Red LED located?
If the LED is on the controller, how many times does it flash?

What are the battery pack voltage and the individual battery voltages about 12 hours after the charger shuts off?
(Pack voltage should be 38.2V and each battery should be 6.37V.)

The batteries are probably bad and the controller might be bad, but the motor is probably okay.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:12 AM   #3
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

First, welcome :) second, we need a little more info. Is this a series cart or PDS ?, red light where ?

Doh! Jb beat me to it !!
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:27 AM   #4
RoadFlyer
Not Yet Wild

The cart is a stock electric Ezgo 2001 TXT. All parts on the cart are stock as far as far as I know. The red LED light is on the dash next to the F/R switch and the key switch and is an indication of battery health I presume. It comes on whenever the key is turned to the ON position. At the moment the LED is all the way at the top indicating full charge as opposed to at the bottom which would mean the batteries need charging. It is a PDS model. It does have a RUN/TOW switch that works fine. There are no running lights at all on the cart. The wheels are stock. (10"?)
Old 04-15-2014, 11:42 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Sounds like one or more bad battery
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:07 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If you don't have a handheld DMM (Digital Multi Meter), get one because you need one to maintain your cart.
A inexpensive one in a blister-pak from an auto parts store or a discount store will suffice.
It should resolve individual battery voltages down to 1/100 volt (IE: 6.37V) and battery pack voltage to 1/10 volt (IE: 38.2V)

Since the solenoid is clicking, the problem is in the high current circuits.

Jack rear tires off ground and put on jack-stands so the half ton cart doesn't take off unexpectedly and run over somebody.

Connect voltmeter between B- and A1 terminals on controller.
Charger unplugged form cart
Run/Two = Run
Key = ON
F/R = F

Press throttle pedal just far enough the make solenoid click.
You should measure FULL battery pack voltage.
If not there is an open in one of the cables highlighted on attached schematic.

If not, press pedal to floor and voltage should decrease to Zero.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - PDS - High current traced.JPG (65.7 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:23 PM   #7
RoadFlyer
Not Yet Wild

Sounds like a plan. I'll try that and thanks.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO