lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-02-2014, 07:27 PM   #1
boompa
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Unhappy 98 dcs controller question ?

I have a 98 dcs cart. It quit on me last fall and sat all winter. I figured out that it needed a controller. so I took an Alltrax dcx 300 out of one of my other carts. I put it in the cart steped on the gas and the tires turned. I put everything back together turned the tow run switch to run steped on the gas the tires turned and a battery started smoking. I disconected the pos batery cable and found that a battery was cracked. Today I got a new battery and installed it. turned the tow switch on steped on the gas and the tires turned. The problem is they don't stop when I let off. the only way the motor stops is if I turn off the key or tow switch. If I turn the key off the motor stops I turn the key back on and it's all normal utill I step on the gas then I have to turn the key off again to stop the motor. Any ideas PLEASE help..
boompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-02-2014, 07:46 PM   #2
branson
Not here yet

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 98 dcs controller question ?

that happened to me when I rebuilt a pds. on mine the brushes were stuck and I had to replace them. also at the time I was using jumper cables from a good carts battery to test it so it may have been a low voltage issue because of the cables.
branson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:50 PM   #3
boompa
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

But the motor doesn't turn untill I step on the gas.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:51 PM   #4
branson
Not here yet

E-Z-GO

Same here. I brought my cart next to the pds cart I was about to rebuild. Then I used jumper cables on the wires that would have been on the batteries. I wanted to see if it worked before I got started on the tear down.
When I turned the key on there was no smoke, I thought that's good. Then I hit the gas it moved after 2' I let off the gas it did not stop. So I turned the key off and it stoped. The same thing happened in reverse I tried several times it never stoped on its own. I thought I might need a controller but when I took the motor apart the brushes were rusted in place.
also I just rembered that connector for the run tow switch had a melted post on one of the studs on the circuit board. That may have been the problem too
branson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:44 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Curious if the control you took from another cart to fix yours was from a DCS cart or another type or year ?
What color and how many LED flashes are you getting on the control at start up.... and is it solid green when pressing the gas down? Does it turn orange when gas peddle all the way down?

3 questions here we need answers to.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:30 AM   #6
boompa
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the replies. The controller came off a 96 dcs cart I'll check the lights after work tonight and let you know. Is it possable I fried the controller when the battery smoked??
Old 06-03-2014, 04:49 PM   #7
boompa
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Scottyb, Got home today took the cover off the control box ,there are no lights on my controller ,no green light no flashing code no nothing it's like it's not working at all . So I hooked everything up again, when I step on the gas the tires turn the farther I push the peddle the faster it goes,when I let off the peddle it slows down but still keeps going even if I step on the brakes. When I switch the key off it will stop,when I turn the key back on it will NOT move untill I step on the gas. Don't know what to try next any help would be great... Thanks
Old 06-03-2014, 06:46 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Lets get some information off this controller .... all of it.

Or plug it into the software and find out what the throttle input is set to.

We can't be certain yet you have a match, but if you do then I suspect the throttle signal is screwy and needs testing.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:13 PM   #9
boompa
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Sottyb, I don't have a laptop or the cable. The controller came from Nivel parts their # is 487 it is an alltrax dcx300dcs its
Old 06-03-2014, 07:22 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Check your throttle signal.
Raise the big plug on the controller just enough to get the meter leads on the pins #1 white or #2 blk for testing
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ezgo ITS testing.jpg (292.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DCS Solenoid activation.jpg (85.6 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO