lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-04-2011, 01:33 PM   #21
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Rebuilt my 87 EZGO Engine, still having issues, please help!!!

Sure thing but it is never as straightforward as it seems. The clutch is sitting on a tapered shaft and locked there with the long bolt that you can see in the center. So you remove that and then we insert a spacer rod and wind in a big bolt. As the bolt goes in it will hit the rod which is now resting on the end of the shaft and as you continue to wind the bolt in, it will pop the clutch off.

That's the theory however the manufacturers conspire to confuse you by using different threads on their clutches. If you have the original clutch you will need a 5/8ths steel rod 3 inches long and a 3/4 inch fine thread bolt (hardened) 2 1/2 inches long. Before you start, look into the center of the clutch and you may see a plastic plug in the way. This is protecting the threads that your bolt will use so wind that out (easier said than done) and drive the clutch off. I recommend that the night before you give the crankshaft a liberal dose of liquid wrench or similar as you will have noted from my blog it can be difficult to get the clutch to release especially if it is the original unit.

My replacement clutch needed a 3/8th rod and a 9/16th bolt (both of the same length) and I have heard of someone needing a 14 mm bolt so you are going to have to do some measuring. Hopefully you can lay a measure across the clutch thread and work it out although 9/16ths and 14 mm are very similar.

I recommend that you spray the thread with the Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster etc. and wind in your chosen bolt by hand to ensure that you don't strip the thread. Stripping the thread will cause an involuntary reaction resulting in you ripping off your own genitals in rage.

Good Luck and in our next episode I guess we will talk about removing the flywheel. If you thought the clutch was hard ..............

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-04-2011, 04:03 PM   #22
EZ-GoingJon
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

"Stripping the thread will cause an involuntary reaction resulting in you ripping off your own genitals in rage."

OUCH!!
EZ-GoingJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:11 PM   #23
madoc1
no clue

E-Z-GO

ours was so rusted we had to run a 3/4 fine tap down before doing anything else. this is is we used
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0052.jpg (91.7 KB, 22 views)
madoc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:06 PM   #24
YourCustomCart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Box View Post
Sure thing but it is never as straightforward as it seems. The clutch is sitting on a tapered shaft and locked there with the long bolt that you can see in the center. So you remove that and then we insert a spacer rod and wind in a big bolt. As the bolt goes in it will hit the rod which is now resting on the end of the shaft and as you continue to wind the bolt in, it will pop the clutch off.

That's the theory however the manufacturers conspire to confuse you by using different threads on their clutches. If you have the original clutch you will need a 5/8ths steel rod 3 inches long and a 3/4 inch fine thread bolt (hardened) 2 1/2 inches long. Before you start, look into the center of the clutch and you may see a plastic plug in the way. This is protecting the threads that your bolt will use so wind that out (easier said than done) and drive the clutch off. I recommend that the night before you give the crankshaft a liberal dose of liquid wrench or similar as you will have noted from my blog it can be difficult to get the clutch to release especially if it is the original unit.

My replacement clutch needed a 3/8th rod and a 9/16th bolt (both of the same length) and I have heard of someone needing a 14 mm bolt so you are going to have to do some measuring. Hopefully you can lay a measure across the clutch thread and work it out although 9/16ths and 14 mm are very similar.

I recommend that you spray the thread with the Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster etc. and wind in your chosen bolt by hand to ensure that you don't strip the thread. Stripping the thread will cause an involuntary reaction resulting in you ripping off your own genitals in rage.

Good Luck and in our next episode I guess we will talk about removing the flywheel. If you thought the clutch was hard ..............

Dave
Got the clutch off. That was fairly easy as it turns out. Used Daves Method to get it off. Now I need to remove the flywheel. I tok the fan cover and fan off. Now what?
YourCustomCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:03 PM   #25
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

You will need a steering wheel puller. If you look at the flywheel you will see two dome head screws that do nothing except protect the threads. Remove these screws, this is where the puller bolts go. You will also need two 6 mm bolts about 10 cms long. The end of the crankshaft, as you will see, has a slot for the oil pump and this does not align well with the screw on the puller. I used a scrap 1/2 inch socket to protect the end of the crankshaft. So remove the nut on the end of the crankshaft and give the shaft a good shot of Liquid Wrench or whatever. Have a beer. Shot of LW. Have a beer. Now assemble the puller and tighten up, give the center screw a tap with a mallet and tighten up. Eventually it will come off with a noise that will make you think something broke.
A two arm puller is best and don't lose the woodruff key between the shaft and the flywheel. Do not be tempted to use a lever under the flywheel you will break the casing on the cover.
Good Luck
Dave
Old 02-05-2011, 05:35 PM   #26
pick
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Cool Re: Rebuilt my 87 EZGO Engine, still having issues, please help!!!

I'm getting ready to rebuild my motor with a top & bottom end kit I recently received. How many beers are needed for the complete job? Just want to make sure I'm prepared!
pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:37 PM   #27
YourCustomCart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I got the flywheel off! Steering wheel puller in my shop desk drawer worked perfectly. Thanks again Dave!

I wonder if I could simply pry the old seals out without splitting the case??? Seems like if I can get the old ones out, installing the new crank seals would be easy to do with a pipe that's the same size as the seal race and a little persuasion with a hammer.

However, I did notice some play in the crank. I wonder how much play is acceptable. I really don't want to have to open the case and replace the bearings. This has already put a dent in my wallet and before to much more of an investment, I could have just replaced the entire engine with a new one.
YourCustomCart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:43 PM   #28
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Yes you do not need to split the crankcase, you can jemmy the old seals out with a large screwdriver, just be careful that you don't damage the crankcase surface where the bearings sit. I also recommend that you use a little Loctite bearing seal to keep them in place. However, and I really hate to say this especially after all your work, but any play in the bearings is unacceptable and will rip up your seals very quickly. In my opinion you will have to change the bearings, but maybe others will have a different opinion.
Sorry
Dave
Old 02-05-2011, 07:45 PM   #29
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pick View Post
I'm getting ready to rebuild my motor with a top & bottom end kit I recently received. How many beers are needed for the complete job? Just want to make sure I'm prepared!
I used two cases but I do love a tin of suds
Old 02-05-2011, 09:42 PM   #30
EZ-GoingJon
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

It took me a 30 Pack of Light to get my NEW TO ME motor ready and put back in my cart! But like Dave, i do love the SUDS!!

Jon
EZ-GoingJon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
87 ezgo, engine rebuild, low power, performance, won't run
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO