lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-18-2008, 10:30 AM   #21
azboo
Super Moderator

Club Car

Default Re: 1985 Club Car Rehab

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsahara24 View Post
It certainly needs some TLC, the body is pretty rough.... i want to get it running before i spend any money on cosmetics...
If it were me.. I'd be watching Craigslist for a used body. They can be had for pretty cheap.
azboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-18-2008, 12:16 PM   #22
jsahara24
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

thanks for the suggestion, ill keep an eye out....
jsahara24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 05:44 PM   #23
oliver28472
Getting Wild

I sent you a PM. Don't know about the white wire coming out of the coil. You probably don't need to disconnect the governor to get it to idle. There is a white wire with a black stipe that comes off of the bottom microswitch in the black box. That is the kill switch wire and it connects to a black wire on the engine. If you disconnect this wire and play around with the throttle adjustment cable, the motor won't cut off. You may want to add a toggle switch to kill it when you want because this wire was disconnected on mine and the key would not turn it off, even with a new switch and microswitches. Check your private messages.
oliver28472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:17 AM   #24
jsahara24
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Sent you an email.

I was tryign to get it too start last night as well with no luck, i will look over the wiring diagram and report back. Thanks again for everyone help. Jason

I have a few pictures of what I have going on here if anyone wants to check them out.

http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i198/miscwes/cart/

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver28472 View Post
I sent you a PM. Don't know about the white wire coming out of the coil. You probably don't need to disconnect the governor to get it to idle. There is a white wire with a black stipe that comes off of the bottom microswitch in the black box. That is the kill switch wire and it connects to a black wire on the engine. If you disconnect this wire and play around with the throttle adjustment cable, the motor won't cut off. You may want to add a toggle switch to kill it when you want because this wire was disconnected on mine and the key would not turn it off, even with a new switch and microswitches. Check your private messages.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:13 AM   #25
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Hey , the first thing I Always suggest is if you are doing s lot of work on a cart or
it is one you are keeping is -
Buy the CC Maint/Service Manual. it will have all the wiring Diag., trouble shooting guides,
remove and replacement instructions. If you have a local dealer call and see if they have a spare . These will normally run between $20 - $60 but will be the best money U Spend.
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 06:22 PM   #26
oliver28472
Getting Wild

Pull the spark plug and hook the spark plug wire back up to it. Put the gear selector in neutral, then on the back side of the selector you can grab the little white plastic knob where there are a couple of microswitches. Pull that plastic knob out a little and rotate about 180 degrees. This puts it in service mode and should allow you to use the gas pedal to start. Ground the base of the plug against the motor and see if you get a good blue spark. If not, may have a coil problem or no juice to the coil. From the manual:

Ignition circuit: If engine has no spark, disconnect black kill circuit wire at CDI control unit. If engine now runs, see Kill Circuit

Exciting Coil: Disconnect 3 prong coupling at the CDI control unit. Set VOM on ohms (RX 10). Check resistance across red and brown wires leading from engine. Correct reading is 355 ohms to 385 ohms. If reading is infinity replace coil.

Pulsing Coil: Set VOM at ohms (RX1). Check resistance across white wire leading from engine and ground. Correct reading is 57 to 73 ohms. A reading of infinity or low ohms indicates bad coil.

CDI control unit: If Kill Circuit, exciting coil, spark plug and spark plug wire all check properly and spark is still not adequate, CDI is defective.

I am not a whiz at this and have not had this problem yet. This just comes out of the manual. Keep us posted. We'll learn from you!!
Old 12-20-2008, 12:05 PM   #27
jsahara24
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I checked to make sure i had spark before I tried to start it the first time...

So i am getting spark, i am trying to get the motor to fire using some starter fluid which should eliminate any possible issues in the carb, but i also have gas hooked up into it.. I am messing with the choke when i attempt to start it....

So i will go ahead and check the things that have been mentioned above and get back to you. I wont be able to work on it untill sunday afternoon, so i will report back tomorrow evening/first thing monday morning!

Have a good one.. Jason
Old 12-20-2008, 01:31 PM   #28
oliver28472
Getting Wild

Do you know if you are getting gas to the carb? Pull the hose off and spin the motor with the battery. If gas comes out of the hose pull the bowl off the bottom of the carb and then take the main jet out. It could have some trash in it.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:39 AM   #29
BIGDADDYJC1
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

i would think if u are getting fire at plug ang spaying starter fluid u would get something not a pro at carts I have my own problems with mine i cant figure out but i know with a car or most motors if u have fire and fuel (starter fluid) you will get some thing even if timeing is out some poping or something.
BIGDADDYJC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 06:28 AM   #30
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Anything that has sat that long needs to have the carb removed disassembled and boiled. The build up of varnish will not wear off with use and it will mess with the air/fuel mixture......Just check compression. If it is good then proceed. Start cleaning the carb and fixing the spark. New oil and fire it up..Good luck
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car