lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-29-2015, 06:03 AM   #1
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Default Regen 2 motor

I have been watching the other threads. Some are saying a regen 2 motor will work on an IQ system, some say not. Which is it.

Also what about the speed sensor? The regen 2 speed sensor is made different.

What about the motor magnet? How many poles does the regen 2 magnet have?

What about changing over to mcor. Will the GO pedal need any work?

Will holes need to be drilled for the mcor?

Depending on answers I may want to change my 99 to IQ.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-29-2015, 08:50 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Regen 2 motor

If you use the new XCT IQ control it does not use the motor magnet for the IQ cart. That is one way around any difference there.
The XCT still does monitor rpm. It does have a maxumum RPM adjustable slider. And I checked it's accuracy with Johnnie's tire speed chart.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:55 AM   #3
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Motor is fully Compatible. It's got an 8 pole magnet in it. Same as IQ OEM. It's not the same magnet though and high speed versions aren't available. As far as a stock operation, it's great. You'd need an IQ wire harness (plug and play), an MCOR4 conversion kit, and an accelerator pivot rod. Then you'll be able to use Scotty's XCT controller. I hear they're nice
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:31 AM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
If you use the new XCT IQ control it does not use the motor magnet for the IQ cart. That is one way around any difference there.
The XCT still does monitor rpm. It does have a maxumum RPM adjustable slider. And I checked it's accuracy with Johnnie's tire speed chart.
Slow down, they cannot perform miracle RPM readings without the sensor.

Directly from their manual:

Quote:
Speed Limit:
This allows you to set the maximum RPM limit of the motor (speed sensor must be connected)
Just want to make sure folks don't get the wrong idea.

That being said, as long as the old Regen2 sensor is working, it uses an equivalent Hall effect sensor as the IQ carts and it should work fine.

The output of those Hall effect sensors are "open collector", so they work with whatever voltage (up to the device limit) the controller uses.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:13 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
Slow down, they cannot perform miracle RPM readings without the sensor.

Directly from their manual:

Just want to make sure folks don't get the wrong idea.

That being said, as long as the old Regen2 sensor is working, it uses an equivalent Hall effect sensor as the IQ carts and it should work fine.

The output of those Hall effect sensors are "open collector", so they work with whatever voltage (up to the device limit) the controller uses.
In the IQ wire harness - the speed sensor is wired into the main harness. This is where Alltrax is picking up the magnet reading in this model. So again it does not matter which configuration speed magnet plug you have, the XCT control will read and control motor speed through the main wire harness which plugs directly into the XCT control.

There is a map to support the Regen 2 cart. So now it sounds like maybe, no conversion is needed?
If you have any questions about this control or how it works call Alltrax tech support. Thank you
Old 05-29-2015, 11:20 AM   #6
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

I have an IQ controller with speed code 4. Bandit motor on my 99 regen 2.
So all I would need is wiring harness, and mcor kit. I guess the v glide will not work with IQ system.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:48 PM   #7
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
So all I would need is wiring harness, and mcor kit. I guess the v glide will not work with IQ system.
It depends on whether or not PQ did anything to the magnet on the Regen2 bandit motor. It's possible they didn't mess with it since it was going on a Regen2 car. The Regen 2 doesn't have to have the speed sensor plugged in to operate. If you unplug it, it'll eliminate the motor braking. There is no limp mode, therefore there is no need to modify the magnet. As for the MCOR, the MCOR has an extra 1000ohm resistor in it that the V-Glide doesn't have. The Curtis 1510 controller won't operate correctly without it. That's why you must convert.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:29 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgolf View Post
Call Alltrax- ask for technician Will. He will verify the new XCT will work with either throttle type.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:18 PM   #9
langstonjones
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
It depends on whether or not PQ did anything to the magnet on the Regen2 bandit motor. It's possible they didn't mess with it since it was going on a Regen2 car. The Regen 2 doesn't have to have the speed sensor plugged in to operate. If you unplug it, it'll eliminate the motor braking. There is no limp mode, therefore there is no need to modify the magnet. As for the MCOR, the MCOR has an extra 1000ohm resistor in it that the V-Glide doesn't have. The Curtis 1510 controller won't operate correctly without it. That's why you must convert.
David, if I unplug my speed sensor on my regen 2 motor then it won't do that max speed braking and will run just fine?? Man that would help me a ton, because I'm sure I've got several more mph in mine.
langstonjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 03:51 PM   #10
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by langstonjones View Post
David, if I unplug my speed sensor on my regen 2 motor then it won't do that max speed braking and will run just fine?? Man that would help me a ton, because I'm sure I've got several more mph in mine.
Yes. It will unleash the beast from within. Unfortunately for a Regen 2 system, that beast just isn't much of a beast. IQ cars with speed programs or high speed magnets will run circles around it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car