lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-15-2015, 09:05 PM   #1
millersouth
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Club car speed magnet.

2010 club car iq. 48 volt. It topped out at 13 mph. I purchased a speed magnet and got nothing. Could my speed sensor be bad. The magnet did bypass the breaking but no more speed. I figured I would gain a mph or 2. Batteries good, all connections are clean and wires are new. Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
millersouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-15-2015, 09:19 PM   #2
mrgolf
Old Sky Soldier

Club Car

Default Re: Club car speed magnet.

Some of the magnets are bad, or don't work if turned the wrong way. It also may be a standard magnet. You can check it by checking against another magnet to see how many poles it has.
mrgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:17 PM   #3
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I know Club Car limits the maximum motor Armature Voltage to around 30v on Speed Code 1, I wonder if they lower the voltage also for Speed Code 2, which is likely what You cart was set for if You were only getting 13mph.

If You can go much faster than that down hill, You may need to have someone with an IQDM programmer change the setting to the Speed Code 3 which is the highest Free stock speed.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:22 AM   #4
greg-g
Gone Wild

If you look up one of the site sponsors that sell the speedy link you will notice that he says his device works from 2002-2007 IQ carts the newer IQ carts are hit and miss with a magnet or his device which does the same thing. There is no voltage change for speed codes. Speed is controlled with the width of the pulse sent from controller to the motor and can easily be seen using an oscilloscope. When using a voltmeter it may look like a voltage change if the meter frequency does not match the controller output frequency. When measuring output of a controller an oscilloscope is the Best device to use and you can actually measure the time for on and off periods of the pulse width and the output voltage.
greg-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 08:33 AM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg-g View Post
If you look up one of the site sponsors that sell the speedy link you will notice that he says his device works from 2002-2007 IQ carts the newer IQ carts are hit and miss with a magnet or his device which does the same thing. There is no voltage change for speed codes. Speed is controlled with the width of the pulse sent from controller to the motor and can easily be seen using an oscilloscope. When using a voltmeter it may look like a voltage change if the meter frequency does not match the controller output frequency. When measuring output of a controller an oscilloscope is the Best device to use and you can actually measure the time for on and off periods of the pulse width and the output voltage.
The Service Manual clearly says that on Speed Code 1 the maximum voltage is 30v.

Of course the peak value of the PWM cannot change, but the average voltage is 30v.

Assigning an "average" voltage to the duty cycle of a pulsed DC signal is an industry accepted practice and if folks put an oscilloscope on their 120vAC they would also notice it is actually 170v (or 340v peak to peak).

If it makes you understand better, the Controller will limit the Armature output PWM to 63% when on speed code 1.

Does anyone know if It will also limit the PWM duty cycle on Speed Code 2?
Old 11-16-2015, 09:04 AM   #6
greg-g
Gone Wild

Can you post that manual.
Yes a motor or load will see it as a lower voltage but a controller is not an analog device it only outputs full voltage at a lower duty cycle. I think were probably saying the same thing in different ways it might be better if we referred to it as 62.5% duty cycle rather then 30 V when a controllers is always putting out 48 but only at 62.5% of the time the rest of the time it's off.

Then again if people only have a meter then 30 volts means more to them than pwm or duty cycle. I was taught that it's not analog so don't refer to it as variable voltage
greg-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 10:04 AM   #7
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

This is the relevant part from the 2009-20111 Precedent Manual:

I would agree that when powering discrete components with unfiltered PWM You need to be very careful with peak power dissipation requirements.

To stay back on track with the original poster, that is one thing I can think that would not allow the motor to go faster even if the controller thought it was not reaching its speed limit (faked by the magnet).

The speed of the motor is directly related to Average Motor Voltage ( or Max Voltage x Duty Cycle Percentage), so the motor cannot go any faster if the Average Voltage applied to the armature cannot be increased.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Maximum_PWM_of_Speed_Codes_on_2010_Precedent.jpg (321.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-16-2015, 10:46 AM   #8
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
This is the relevant part from the 2009-20111 Precedent Manual:

I would agree that when powering discrete components with unfiltered PWM You need to be very careful with peak power dissipation requirements.

To stay back on track with the original poster, that is one thing I can think that would not allow the motor to go faster even if the controller thought it was not reaching its speed limit (faked by the magnet).

The speed of the motor is directly related to Average Motor Voltage ( or Max Voltage x Duty Cycle Percentage), so the motor cannot go any faster if the Average Voltage applied to the armature cannot be increased.
The reference to the Guardian system makes me think that's it's referring exclusively to all Excel system vehicles. I've used high speed magnets in the full range of available years of IQ cars hundreds of times with the same result. They work better than a speed code. Back to the original post, the magnet has obviously worked if it removed the electronic motor braking from the cart that limits the top speed. The electronic motor braking is no longer the reason your cart can't exceed it's top speed. There is another issue there. If you were to take the cart and have a dealer program it for high speed, you'd be in the same situation. It would be programmed for 19.6 but only capable of a top speed of 13 mph or so. There's a reason for it and you'll have to find it to fix it. It could be a number of things. Tire pressure, extra resistance in the hubs, bad mcor, weak controller output, improper front end alignment.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 11:33 AM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

David, that verbiage appears in all 4 sections of the Manual: IQ-TPS, IQ-MCOR, Excell-TPS and Excell-MCOR.

I just looked at the 2009-2011 DS Manual and it says: "Voltage can very depending on controller speed setting" Page 18-15, no reference of Guardian on that manual.

I think the odds that his setup cannot go just a little faster is just very small, something is preventing the motor from reaching maximum speed and the Armature voltage would be the easiest way for the controller to limit that.

I also know from experience that is how the Excel controller limits your reverse speed regardless of how you fake the speed sensor pulses.

Did you ever had a reason/opportunity to measure the A1-A2 voltage on a cart with speed code 2 (and a speed magnet) to see if the controller is outputting 100%?
Old 11-16-2015, 01:24 PM   #10
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

No sir I've never physically checked the field voltage to determine full output.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car