lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-09-2015, 05:17 PM   #1
Thegaff6
Not Yet Wild

Angry Motor Centering Bearing Squealing and End shield hot

I know there are different threads regarding motor centering bearing and what it is or does. The question is for 1996 48v Club Car DS stock motor. I have removed the motor because of deceleration chattering and changed the spline bumper. Worked fine but decided to change the bearing while I was in the motor and now the end shield that the bearing sits in gets to hot to touch after 10 minutes of riding. Also can hear unnecessary noise and friction from the motor. Took the motor apart again the bearing was bad again. Replaced it by putting the bearing in the end shield first. The secured the retainer ring. Armature through the brush and the armature into the bearing. Reassembled the case and still same results. Am I putting the bearing on wrong? I am not sure why I am getting that noise and friction. I am almost 100% sure I am not damaging the bearing when I am putting it in. Please help any advice would be great. Thank you in advance.
Thegaff6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-09-2015, 05:46 PM   #2
Yamahaman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Motor Centering Bearing Squealing and End shield hot

You might look at this thread.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ng-bumper.html
Yamahaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 05:48 PM   #3
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Are you installing a motor centering kit or a nylon guide ring? There are two different parts for two different applications. Does your motor have a snap ring with the nylon guide ring in the end of it or does it have a solid steel shaft?
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 05:59 PM   #4
Thegaff6
Not Yet Wild

I have replaced the snap ring and nylon bumper that is in the shaft of the armature and the chattering is gone. On the other end of the motor I replaced the commutator bearing and after reassembling the motor case and putting the motor back in the bearing still squeals. Took it apart a couple days later and the bearing was almost seized again and noticed that the end shield of the motor case was getting hot after driving for 10 minutes. Repeated the processes taking my time making sure all was put back together slow and cautious with another new bearing and it still sounds similar to that of a car with bad brakes when it tries to brake and also squeals which I'm sure the bearing is almost immediately going bad. I just don't know why it is doing that.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:01 PM   #5
Thegaff6
Not Yet Wild

Yamahaman thank you for the reply I have read the thread but I am looking more towards the commutator bearing and the other end of the armature. I have successfully replace the mat alignment ring/bumper.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:49 PM   #6
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Is there a rubber bumper inside the output shaft of the motor? If so, take it out. Maybe a piece of the old guide ring? Could be putting pressure on the armature and wearing out the bearing
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 08:16 PM   #7
Thegaff6
Not Yet Wild

The output shaft has the snap ring version with the nylon piece in it. Everything fit together ok without any stress. What would be the method that you guys would use to put the new bearing onto the armature? The bearing fits easily into the end shield the I am able to screw the two screws holding the retainer ring holding the bearing in the end shield. From there I hammered the armature into the bearing with a protective barrier over the output shaft of the motor to avoid damage.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:29 PM   #8
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Sounds like that is how You are damaging the bearing.

You need to slide the bearing retainer on the Armature shaft.

Then use an arbor press with an outside diameter of less than 5/8 to press the bearing, exerting pressure on the inner race only.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:20 PM   #9
Thegaff6
Not Yet Wild

would the arbor press be too small to press it on? What would it catch onto to get leverage?
Old 12-10-2015, 11:48 AM   #10
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I am not sure what You meant by "catching".

You are supposed to press or pound the bearing with a mallet, but still using a pipe or socket with less than 5/8 OD so You are only applying force on the inner race of the bearing, into the Armature shaft first.

You then slide the Armature shaft with the bearing retainer and bearing already installed into the motor shell and get the brushes in place.

You need to find a longer screw of the same thread size as the original bearing retainer screw to get it aligned and started when mounting it to the end shield.

Once You get the first stock screw in place, take the longer screw out and replace it with the other stock bearing retainer screw.

The last thing is to attach the end shield to the motor stator shell.

I may be wrong, but it sounded like You were pounding the end shield to get the bearing to press into the shaft, which not only would damage the bearing, but likely distorted the end shield.

If that was not the case, sorry for the intrusion.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car