lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-18-2016, 02:22 PM   #1
McG1717
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 2011 Precedent Excel Alltrax XCT500IQ Upgrade

Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting (long time reader) - I've read just about everything I can about installing the new XCT controllers, got the 500a kit from ScottyB (with 400a solenoid, flex mount, 2ga cable set & OBC stud kit) and tried installing this past weekend.

Though this was the first upgrade I personally attempted, I'm pretty mechanically inclined. With the included instructions and the help of everyone's posts (thank you!), I got through it... sort of. I'll start by giving some specs from my cart:

2011 Precedent Excel (PH serial number). 48v (6x8v Powertron P8000). 6" A-Arm All Sports lift w/22" Sahara tires. Motor is stock upgraded PQ bandit.

I got the new controller mounted (mounted horizontally with oversized nuts as spacers between the controller & mounting plate), installed the new solenoid, installed the new 2ga cables & hooked all other wires back up. I reinstalled the batteries (had to take the two center ones out to install the controller & solenoid) & hooked them up. Switched the run/tow back to run, turned the key on & nothing... cart didn't move (or make a sound - no clicks), the battery meter didn't light up, reverse buzzer didn't come on, etc. When I plug the charger in, it makes a single click but never turns on (the buzz when it's charging). I have verified pack voltage is getting to the OBC stud kit. Removed the batteries & controller cover & verified continuity between OBC stud & B- terminal on the controller. I have triple checked all wiring diagrams & connections & am pretty certain I have everything correct. I'm also pretty certain that all control/other wiring is reconnected, but think this must be where my problem is (or at least where it starts).

Any ideas on what I should check/fix? I confirmed the tow/run switch is working (tested continuity on/off) and verified the wires are hooked back up like they were. I confirmed the small gauge wires are properly hooked up to the solenoid. I also re-checked that the only wiring NOT hooked back up is a 4-pin connector that was used with the stock controller.

I sent Scotty an email - they're closed today for the holiday but recommended I contact Will at Alltrax. I don't mind calling them, but think my issue is more "operator error" than a problem with the controller.

I know photos are helpful - I can post some later tonight after I get home, but figured I'd throw this out there to see if there might be something (that should be obvious) that I'm not seeing/thinking about/etc. I can tell you it's a tight fit for the controller/solenoid/wiring & hard to see where everything is & connected to. I'll try to take photos of each component as well as a couple overall/"whole setup" shots.

Thanks for any/all input!

Matt
McG1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-18-2016, 02:43 PM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2011 Precedent Excel Alltrax XCT500IQ Upgrade

It sounds like You forgot to connect the OBC circuit negative wire.

The old 6ga pack negative cable that went through the OBC had additional wires crimped together on a combo crimp on the controller B- terminal.

One of the negatives was the 10ga negative logic power to the OBC (and the SCR controlled charger output).

The other one was the accessory negative to the bucket harness.

Edit:
Also, make sure the pink positive wire on the Solenoid big post is on the battery side of the Solenoid.

Last edited by Sergio; 01-18-2016 at 03:04 PM.. Reason: Additional Comments.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:46 PM   #3
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Here is a picture of that connector. It's in the center of the picture circled in yellow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aug Sept Oct 2013 087.jpg (233.7 KB, 0 views)
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:49 AM   #4
McG1717
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Sergio & jjance - thank you. I got it fixed. I had all the "additional wires" connected, but had the small pink positive wire on the solenoid connected to the other terminal (not battery side). Simple swap and I was up & running! Now to start messing with the settings...

Thanks again!
McG1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:11 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG1717 View Post
Sergio & jjance - thank you. I got it fixed. I had all the "additional wires" connected, but had the small pink positive wire on the solenoid connected to the other terminal (not battery side). Simple swap and I was up & running! Now to start messing with the settings...

Thanks again!

Glad to hear you found the install error, Thanks for the help
The unit comes preprogrammed by me for max torque & speed and nice soft start. I advise driving it for awhile and see what change is desired then ask how to achieve that. Just messing with the adjustments, it is easy to adjust it right out of operation.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:13 PM   #6
Stripes136
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Hey McG1717 - how are you liking the new controller? You have the same set up that I have with the bandit motor but I have not upgraded controller yet. Did you notice a big difference? Better acceleration? I am getting about 25 MPH but it is pretty slow off the line. Do you think it's worth it and would you recommend going through ScottyB's website? Thanks so much!
Stripes136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car