lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-12-2016, 07:50 PM   #1
klanel
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Low battery water - exposed plates

Trojan batteries a month or so old. Checked them after a week and water levels were up, A couple weeks later I had to add 2-3 gallons to get them back to normal.

I'm sure it's not good for them but wondering if it will have any lasting negative effects. Also, will they evaporate as much in the future as they did when new? Every time I go to unhook the charger it smells pretty strong. DPI set mode 2 I think.
klanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-12-2016, 08:29 PM   #2
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Low battery water - exposed plates

You got something bad wrong. First verify mode 2. Then check pack wiring to check that you are charging 6 batteries and not five.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:37 PM   #3
fishbooz
Gone Wild
Club Car

I bought new Trojan 875's 11 months ago, about a month after I installed them I had to add about a quart to the entire pack to get each cell at about a 1/2 inch above the plates .After that I installed water miser battery caps and I have not had to add any water since then. They are expensive but with the Trojan caps I always had acid mist on top of the batteries after a charge but these caps eliminated any acid mist on top of the batteries plus I have not had to add any water at all since I installed them ( 10 months ago ). Also have noticed that there is no longer a strong smell after a charge with these caps. Someone that knows more than me will have to answer your question if that much water usage is normal but it certainly sounds like a lot of water in a short amount of time
fishbooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:59 PM   #4
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjance View Post
You got something bad wrong. First verify mode 2. Then check pack wiring to check that you are charging 6 batteries and not five.
Agreed something BAD wrong... I've got one of the SMART DPI 17 AMP Chargers and in nearest to 2 years no water added....

What holding or FLOAT voltage does it hold your batteries at?
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:04 PM   #5
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Or I just had another thought. Did you possibly get the DPI for for use with an OBC and bypassed the OBC?
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:11 PM   #6
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjance View Post
Or I just had another thought. Did you possibly get the DPI for for use with an OBC and bypassed the OBC?
Double check your charger the charger meant for NON-OBC is 17 amps and the charger for OBC is 15 amps...
Old 06-12-2016, 09:57 PM   #7
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

FYI-Unless he picked up another cart, we're talking about his 92 or 93 DS conversion.

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:28 PM   #8
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag50 View Post
FYI-Unless he picked up another cart, we're talking about his 92 or 93 DS conversion...
Yes looking backwards at postings... Something is not right when a DPI charger is boiling out brand new Trojans, my 2 year batteries haven't needed water yet and all they have known is a DPI charger for all most their entire life 24/7...
Old 06-13-2016, 07:14 AM   #9
klanel
Gone Wild
Club Car

The charger is DPI 17a/48v
I checked the switches and as default were already mode 2, will recheck.

The most time the cart has been used in a single day is probably 30 minutes total. So it stays on the charger most all the time. And every time I go to use it the batteries are boiling even if the amps are 1-3 from the charger. Always smell gases.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:43 AM   #10
klanel
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
Agreed something BAD wrong... I've got one of the SMART DPI 17 AMP Chargers and in nearest to 2 years no water added....

What holding or FLOAT voltage does it hold your batteries at?
Not there but I'm thinking dash meter shows close to 65v
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car