lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-31-2016, 11:05 AM   #1
flyons78
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Is the DPI Charger Worth It?

So my batteries are dying a slow death. They still get me where I need to go but they are weak, getting weaker. I'm going to ride them a little longer and soon replace them with Trojans. I'd hate to spend so much on the Trojans only to have my PowerDrive3 charger reduce their life span. I partially feel the charger is why my 3 year old stock batteries are dying so soon. I assume the PD3 charger is working correctly.

Regardless, I want to know if the DPI charger is worth the investment, especially if I'm getting new Trojan batteries.
flyons78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-31-2016, 11:20 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Is the DPI Charger Worth It?

Properly maintained batteries can last 5 yrs.
IN short if you are paying $700 for a battery pack the difference in cost per yr is enough to pay for the charger.
$700 over 3 yrs is $233 a yr for batteries
Same batteries lasting 4 yrs is $175 a yr
and Same outlay over 5 yrs is $140 a yr.

How that adds up can be looked at a couple of ways. If the charger makes the pack last an extra year to say 4 yrs it nearly paid for itself with $233 savings. More likely the charger will give 5 yrs from the pack and that is a savings of $466 when compared to 3 yr life

I'm trying to be conservative. And I realize your new batteries may cost more or less and your results will vary... and of course the charger cannot do anything for the pack unless you plug it in at the right time (proper use) and the batteries are sized and watered properly. I hope this helps
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 11:23 AM   #3
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

IMO it worth every penny . I got one before i got my new trojan batteries and use it every night . I did sold my PD2 for $160.00 before i bought my Dpi and after I sold my PD3 for 225.00. So i came out ahead with basicly a free Dpi and cash .
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 11:33 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You can't beat that with a stick!

Most people tell me they are able to sell their old working charger on CL for about half the cost of a new DPI
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 12:21 PM   #5
flyons78
Getting Wild
Club Car

Good info! I had a feeling this would be the case, especially when factoring in the sale of my PD3. Hoping I can get decent money for it here in Atlanta..
Old 07-31-2016, 12:25 PM   #6
flyons78
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
You can't beat that with a stick!

Most people tell me they are able to sell their old working charger on CL for about half the cost of a new DPI
Scottyb - I was looking at the DPI charger on your site. What's the difference between the one with the OBC vs without OBC? I always thought you had to bypass the OBC when using the DPI? Is the charger with OBC less work for me to switch to?
Old 07-31-2016, 12:34 PM   #7
crash test dummy

Quote:
One model works with the On Board Computer. The OBC controls this DPI charger telling it when to turn on and off. This charger does not have a float charge mode. This is an original equipment type replacement charger.

The other model is a stand alone charger with float mode. This charger is ideal for owners who bypass the OBC and wish to take advantage of the float or maintenance mode charge
ez to order original equipment type replacement charger with the OBC still in the cart ,but ... clipping 2 wires and not having to worry about the OBC is the way i would go

we have 5 at work and i have one at home ... will not buy any other
Old 07-31-2016, 05:28 PM   #8
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyons78 View Post
Scottyb - I was looking at the DPI charger on your site. What's the difference between the one with the OBC vs without OBC? I always thought you had to bypass the OBC when using the DPI? Is the charger with OBC less work for me to switch to?
DPI makes lots of chargers to fit many OE systems without the need for diddling of the wiring. In the case of those carts with an OBC there is the not-smart 15 amp charger and for carts without an OBC there is the 17 amp smart charger. Which as CTD commented with only a tiny rewire we can go the way of true smart charge with FLOAT charge which is what will be missing if you purchase the 15 amp charger. You will still get the 4 different algorithms for different brand batteries and the multi stage charging but its the float charge that really helps extend battery life...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 05:48 PM   #9
jjance
Gone Wild

Club Car

Another way of putting it is that if you get the one for use with an OBC you might as well keep the one you got.
jjance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 06:42 PM   #10
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by teecro View Post
Which as CTB commented
wtf ??

Crash Test Bunny

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car