lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-01-2018, 09:32 PM   #21
jb-mck
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Where to go from here

Got the lift fully installed but I now have brake issues. To install the kit, the instructions say to disconnect the brake cable retainer from their mount and to tie them out of the way. That won’t work, right? Brakes are soft and go to the floor. Next weekend I will machine a new retainer for the cables.

Any short cuts before I spend 4 hours fabing something up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jb-mck is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-02-2018, 05:59 AM   #22
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Seems like they meant to remove the retainer temporarily. Are you not able to reattach the cables like they were now that the lift is installed?
Rooster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:41 AM   #23
jb-mck
Not Yet Wild

Default Where to go from here

Correct. The retainer bracket is now too low. It needs to be raised about 1.5 inches.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:07 AM   #24
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The instructions appear to say undo the tie straps on each side, probably near the brake backing plates. Then re-tie the cables to the rear springs. Did you undo something metal that needs to be remachined? I am unfamiliar with the brake cables on your style cart so I can't be a lot of help. Just reading the instructions it makes it sound like the ties are not metal. Maybe you moved or detached the wrong item?
Old 04-02-2018, 09:36 AM   #25
jb-mck
Not Yet Wild

Yes, the retainer was a metal bracket the cable went through. It is held in place by a C clip. The spring is too close to that bracket (appears to me). If I reconnect, assuming I can, then the spring is going to wear the cable out.

I will take some photos this afternoon. I must have goofed something up, or this would be a known fix. More to follow..... Thanks

Old 04-02-2018, 09:43 AM   #26
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I thought it might be something like that. The bracket with c-clip is the cable anchor at the operational point. That has to remain. As you have found. I believe this is a case where some have flipped the backing plates or something so the brake cable is underneat the axle instead of above the axle. Which is what I suppose you have. My 1996 TXT already had the cable exiting the brake backing plate underneath the axle and I don't have the interference issue you are describing.

At least I think that is what is going on with your application. A pic might help to clarify.
Old 04-04-2018, 06:52 PM   #27
jb-mck
Not Yet Wild

IMG_1321.jpgIMG_1320.jpgIMG_1319.jpg

Old 04-04-2018, 06:53 PM   #28
jb-mck
Not Yet Wild

Front, rear and overhead of cable system. It looks like they may go back with some effort but I would have to do something about the rubbing on the spring.

Old 04-04-2018, 07:14 PM   #29
jb-mck
Not Yet Wild

It’s not complete without a picture of the bird dog!IMG_1329.jpg

Old 04-05-2018, 07:55 AM   #30
Rooster59
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Can't imagine how the brakes can work without the cable solidly anchored at both ends.

Good looking bird dog.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO